Harwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts Genealogy
- 1 Town Hall History/Records
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Resources
- 4 References
Town Hall History/Records
Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
14 September 1694: Established as a town, formerly a tract of land called "Satuckett" (Prov. Laws, Vol. 1, p. 181)
Section/Villages within the town: East Harwich, Harwich Center, Harwichport, North Harwich, Pleasant Lake, South Harwich, West Harwich
Wikipedia: Harwich, Massachusetts
14 Jul 1772: Part annexed to Eastham.
9 February 1803: Part established as Brewster, with a proviso that certain estates of remonstrants be allowed to remain in Harwich.
21 June 1811: The Daniel Rogers estate in Harwich annexed to Brewster.
25 April 1848: Part of Brewster annexed.
4 April 1862: Bounds between Harwich and Orleans established.
14 April 1862: Bounds between Harwich and Chatham established.
12 July 1945: Bounds between Harwich and Dennis established.
8 May 1947: Act of July 12, 1945, amended and bounds between Harwich and Dennis established.
Banks Street Burial Ground
Banks St., no stone
Baptist Church Cemetery (1816)
Depot St. and Rte 28
Chase Family Cemetery
Depot St., no stones
Christ Church Episcopal Church Cremation Garden
behind the Christ Church Episcopal Church
Rte 28 Harwichport
East Harwich Methodist Cemetery
End of the Pond Cemetery (1825)
Evergreen Cemetery (1807)
corner of Cemetery AVe and Rte 137
First Congregational Church cemetery (1748)
Rte 124 and Main St.
First Methodist Cemetery (ca 1758)
Queen Anne Rd
Hawks Nest Pond Cemetery (1826)
off Spruce Rd
Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery (1869)
Rte 124, Pleasant Lake Ave
Island Pond Cemetery (1778)
off Main St, at end of Island Pond Rd
Kelley Street Cemetery (1834)
off Kelley St.
Kildee Hill Cemetery
existed nearby Kildee Hill
Mount Pleasant Cemetery (1850)
90 Forest ST, located between South and Forest Sts
North Harwich Cemetery (1792)
corner North Main and Depot Sts
Pine Grove Cemetery (1813)
Pine Grove St.
South Harwich Cemetery aka Methodist Churchyard Cemetery (1829)
Old Chatham Rd
Harding Ryder Gravesite
Rte 39, near the water tower
Smith Family Cemetery (1834)
Bell's Neck Rd
South Harwich Cemetery (1829)
Samuel Tripp Family Cemetery (1832)
Union Cemetery (ca. 1811)
Harwich St. and Queen Anne Rd, next to the Harwich United Methodist Church
Mehitable Wixon-Chase Family Cemetery (1832)
off Lothrop Ave.
Church History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums