Hartley County, Texas Genealogy
Template:Texas-stub United States > Texas > Counties H > Hartley County
Adopted by TXGenWeb Hartley County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The town of Hartley was the first county seat of Hartley County, from 1891-1896. In 1896, the county seat was moved to Channing.
Hartley County Courthouse
County Clerk - Diane Thompson
900 Main Street
P.O. Box Q
Channing, Texas 79018
Phone: 806-235-3582 Ext. 101
Hartley County is named for Oliver C. Hartley and his brother, Rufus K. Hartley, two early Texas legislators and lawyers.
1876--Hartley County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District, but was not organized until 1891. County seat: Channing 
Places / Localities
Channing | Dalhart (partly in Dallam County) | Hartley
- The Book of Years: A History of Dallam and Hartley Counties, 1969, by Lillie Mae Hunter.
- Hartley County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).