Harswell, Yorkshire Genealogy
HARSWELL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Market-Weighton. The parish is situated in the vale of the river Foulness. Church of England records began in 1653.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from chapelry registers of Harswell exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|AO = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ANC = ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|HARSWELL PARISH (1653) Online Records|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Warrington-Padgate Christ Church and comprising the whole ancient parish of Harswell to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the HARSWELL PARISH page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 416-421. Date accessed: October 31, 2013.