Harpford, Devon Genealogy
HARPFORD (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Sidmouth. The parish is situated near the road from Exeter to Lyme-Regis, and is divided into two nearly equal parts by the river Otter, which flows through a pleasant vale, from the sides of which, slopes, undulations, and hills rise in great variety, and extend throughout the district. The church belonged to the abbey of St. Michael de Monte, and was subsequently given to Sion College, London; it is in the early English style, with some good later English windows. The parish was the residence of the lords Dinham, remains of whose mansion still exist.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 413-416.