Harford County, Maryland Genealogy
Guide to Harford County Maryland genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harford County, Maryland|
Location in the state of Maryland
Location of Maryland in the U.S.
|Founded||December 17, 1773|
|County Seat||Bel Air|
|Address|| Harford County Courthouse|
20 West Courtland Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
Harford County Website
- 1 Harford County Maryland Courthouse
- 2 Harford County Maryland History
- 3 Harford County Maryland Places/Localities
- 4 Harford County Maryland Genealogy Resources
- 5 Harford County Maryland Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Harford County Maryland Genealogy Websites
- 7 Harford County Maryland Genealogy References
Harford County Maryland Courthouse
Harford County Maryland History
- Named for Henry Harford, the illegimate son of Frederick Calvert, 6th and last Lord Baltimore. Mr. Harford was the last Proprietary Governor of Maryland but did not inherit the title of Lord Baltimore because of his illegimatacy.
- Created 17 December 1773 from Baltimore County.
Harford County Maryland Places/Localities
- Bel Air
- Aberdeen Proving Ground
Harford County Maryland Genealogy Resources
CemeteriesPartial Listing of Harford County Cemeteries
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Harford County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Harford County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions. The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- United Methodist, Abingdon Charge, Cokesbury Church, Abingdon, Md. (includes cemetery and church records 1850s-1980s)
Church of England
See also St. George's Parish
Free online index to thousands of Harford County court cases dating from 1700s to 1900s on The Historical Society of Harford County website.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Harris] Harris, Mrs. Norris. "The Harris Family of Baltimore and Harford Counties," The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist, Vol. 31, No. 2 (Spring 1990):68. FHL US/CAN Book 975 B2m.
- List of imported servants and transported convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Harford County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database. [Includes Richard J. Cox's abstracts of Maryland Gazette runaways.]
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Harford County Deed Books (1773-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Harford County on page 127.]
- "Harford County, Maryland, Oaths of Fidelity, 1778," The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 4 (Fall 1988):126-127; Vol. 30, No. 1 (Winter 1989):10-11; Vol. 30, No. 2 (Spring 1989):46-47; Vol. 30, No. 3 (Summer 1989):88-89; Vol. 30, No. 4 (Fall 1989):126-127; Vol. 31, No. 1 (Winter 1990):6-7. FHL Collection 975 B2m
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Harford County, pp. 149-151. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Civil War service men from Harford County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Harford County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Maryland Eastern Shore Infantry, Company G, and H
- - 7th Regiment, Maryland Infantry, Company C, and H
- Harford County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Probate Records, Colonial Index, 1634-1777 online at Maryland State Archives website - free
Scanned images of wills, administrations, and inventories are available for free on FamilySearch.
Indentures and Guardianships 1774-1809 at Harford County Historical Society website
-  Harford County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Harford County Maryland Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Harford County Maryland Genealogy Websites
- The Harford County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- "Harford Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Harford County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Harford County. (Backup site)
- Family History Library Catalog at FamilySearch.org for Harford County
Harford County Maryland Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harford, Maryland page 317, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "3rd Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.
- Wikipedia contributors, "6th Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.