Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Hardin County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1792|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Hardin County Justice Center
120 E. Dixie Ave.
Elizabethtown, Ky. 42701
270-766-5000 or 270-766-5037
Hours of Operation:
Monday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The county is named after John Hardin (1753-1792), an officer in the Revolutionary War.A few more interesting history facts Hardin County History Facts
Some records were destroyed by fires that occurred on 23 Dec 1864 and 6 Dec 1932.
|Booth||Glendale Junction||Pierce Mill||Star Mills|
|Crest||Hardin Springs||Red Hill||Tunnel Hills|
|Flint Hill||Indian Hills||Rose Terrace||Vine Grove|
|Fort Knox||Kraft||Saint John||Vine Grove Junction|
|Four Corners||Limp||Seven Corners||West Point|
|Franklin Cross Roads||Long View||Solway||White Mills|
|Gaffey Heights||Melrose||Sonora||White Mills Junction|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- Who Was Who in Hardin County. 1946. Vol. 2 digitized by FamilySearch Books Online - free.
CemeteriesKentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Hardin Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Hardin County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Hardin County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Hardin County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- 1793-1875 - Will Books A to T (1793-1875) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bomar] Wilbur, Tom. Eight Bomar Families of Early Hardin, Hart, and Larue Counties, Kentucky and Some of Their Descendants: A Few Allied Families: Bolton, Buckner, Clopton, Cruse, Dye, Ferguson, Hazle, Highbaugh, Hill, Hodge(s) Jaggers, Lamkin Mears, Owen(s), Shelton, Simpson, Waddle, Wheeler. Okemos, Mich.: T. Wilbur, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 B639w
- [Kasey] Schorn, Catherine Scott. "Kaseys in Bedford County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 31, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1987):243-248; Vol. 32, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1988):24-32. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 31 (1987)-v. 32 (1988).
- [Peebles] Saltzman, Bettie L. Peebles and Linda L. Saltzman McCall. Peebles, 1763-1988. Typescript. 1988 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 P343s.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1793-1915 - Will Books A to G (1793-1915) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- Family Search Library Catalog
- Early Kentucky Tax Records
- Researching Early Kentucky Tax Lists 1792-1840
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
2950 Shepherdsville Rd
Elizabethtown, Hardin, Kentucky, United States
Hours: T,Th 9am-12pm; W 7pm-9pm
- Hardin County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hardin County at Our Family Tree
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hardin County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Samuel R. Brown, The Western Gazetteer or Emigrant's Directory, Containing a Geographical Description of the Western States and Territories, viz. The States of Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi: and the Territories of Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Michigan, and North-Western (Auburn, N.Y.: H.C. Southwick, 1817), 89. Digital versions at NIU Library Digitization Projects and World Vital Records ($).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).