Hardin County, Illinois Genealogy
|Hardin County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||March 2, 1839|
|Address|| P.O. Box 187|
Elizabethtown, IL 62931
|Named for: Hardin County, Kentucky|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
|Beginning Dates for Hardin County Records|
Large numbers of Kentuckians settled in frontier Hardin County, Illinois. Names of the county (Hardin) and the county seat (Elizabethtown) are reminiscent of Hardin County, Kentucky - the previous residence of many pioneer settlers.
May 19, 1884 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
To see a list of places in Hardin County, click on [Show], in the bar above. The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Hardin County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Hardin Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Hardin County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Hardin County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
FamilySearch has made parish records from a Belleville Diocese Catholic church in Hardin County available online. The records include first communions, confirmations, marriages, and deaths:
- Church Records of St. Joseph Parish, Elizabethtown, Hardin County, Illinois 1923-1956, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
Societies and Libraries
| Genealogical Society of Southern Illinois
John A. Logan College Library
700 Logan College Road
Carterville, Illinois 62918
Telephone: 618-985-2828, Ext. 8338
Hours: vary by season, see website
|The Society focuses on Alexander, Clay, Clinton, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Lawrence, Marion, Massac, Monroe, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Randolph, Richland, Saline, St. Clair, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, White, and Williamson counties. The Society's book and microfilm collection is housed at the John A. Logan College Library. The Society publishes a newsletter (click here for recent issues) and a quarterly journal The Saga of Southern Illinois (click here for a topical index that breaks down what has been published county-by-county).|
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hardin County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hardin County Fact Sheet, Illinois State Archives, accessed May 28, 2011.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 194. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.