Hamblen County, Tennessee Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Family History Centers
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Hamblen County Courthouse, Morristown, Tenn.]]
Hamblen County Clerk
511 West Second North Street
Morristown, Tennessee 37814
Phone: (423) 585-1993
Monday - Thursday 8 am - 4:30 pm
Friday 8 am - 5 pm
History[edit | edit source]
The county is named after Tennessee pioneer Hezekiah Hamblen.
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
|Alpha||Havley Springs||Pineville||Sunset Hills|
|Bright (hist.)||Lakemoore||Roe Junction||Union Heights|
|Cain Mill||Lakeview||Rolling Hills||Whitesburg|
|Chuckey Bend (hist.)||Morristown||Silver City|
|Hales Crossroads||Panther Creek (hist.)||Sulphur Springs|
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Tennessee Counties: Hamblen County, courtesy: Tennessee State Library and Archives. (Identifies published county histories, published local records, census records, newspapers and local records on microfilm, and select manuscripts.)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Church[edit | edit source]
Court[edit | edit source]
Family Histories[edit | edit source]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [King] History of the King Family of Hamblen County, Tennessee. Typescript, Tennessee State Library, Nashville, Tenn. Microfilmed in 1939. FHL US/CAN Film 24670 Item 4.
- [Lee] Lee Family Collection, ca. 1613-1924. Typescript. FHL US/CAN Film 1550782.
- [Miller] Wine, Cecil J. The Michael Miller Family. Radford, VA: Commonwealth Press, 1964. Available at Heritage Quest Online ($).
Land[edit | edit source]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Occupations[edit | edit source]
- Miller, Alan N. East Tennessee's Forgotten Children: Apprentices from 1778 to 1911. Baltimore, Md.: Printed for Clearfield Company, Inc., by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2000. FHL US/CAN 976.8 U2m. Digital version at World Vital Records ($). Purchase at Genealogical.com. [Includes Hamblen County.]
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Several genealogical articles with abstracts of records of Hamblen County, Tennessee have been published in Ansearchin' News, the quarterly magazine of the Tennessee Genealogical Society. To view a list of these articles, visit their county index. To read digitized versions of the first 36 years of articles (Vols. 1-36), browse their archive or conduct a surname search. The Family History Library has a complete collection of the Ansearchin' News quarterly FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 B2a.
East Tennessee Roots
A genealogical article with abstracts of Hamblen County, Tennessee records has been published in East Tennessee Roots (10 vols.). A subject index to this publication's articles is available online. Surname indexes to Volumes 9 and 10 are also available online. The Family History Library has collected most issues of East Tennessee Roots FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 D25e.
Private Papers[edit | edit source]
- Diary and Scrapbook of Catherine (Kate) Livingston, 1857-1868, Hamblen County, Tennessee. Typescript, Tennessee State Library, Nashville, Tenn. FHL US/CAN Film 24670 Item 3.
Probate[edit | edit source]
Taxation[edit | edit source]
The original Hamblen County Tax Books 1877-1889 (gaps) are held at the County Courthouse. In the 1970s, the Tennessee State Library and Archives microfilmed these records. A copy of their film is also available at the Family History Library: FHL US/CAN Film 969637.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
- Williams, Marguerite White and Hamblen County Genealogical Society. Death Records of Hamblen County, Tennessee, 1902-1950. Morristown, Tenn.: Hamblen County Genealogical Society, 1995. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8923 V2h.
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
6301 Hiawatha Rd
Morristown, Hamblen, Tennessee, United States
Hours: Wed 6pm-8:30pm;
This is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
Web Sites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "List of counties in Tennessee," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).