Halton County, Ontario Genealogy
- 1 Townships
- 1.1 Getting Started
- 1.2 History
- 1.3 Places/Localities
- 1.4 Resources
- 1.4.1 Biographies
- 1.4.2 Cemeteries
- 1.4.3 Census Records
- 1.4.4 Church Records
- 1.4.5 Court Records
- 1.4.6 Directories
- 1.4.7 Genealogy
- 1.4.8 Land and Property Records
- 1.4.9 Local Histories
- 1.4.10 Maps
- 1.4.11 Military Records
- 1.4.12 Newspapers & Obituaries
- 1.4.13 Probate Records
- 1.4.14 Taxation Records
- 1.4.15 Vital Records
- 1.5 Societies and Libraries
- 1.6 Web Sites
- 1.7 References
1. What information do you wish to locate about your ancestor? To choose the sources you need to search first, please click on RECORD SELECTION TABLE: Ontario , which will help you decide.
2. From the above Record Selection Table, which sources do you wish to check in this county? To check the availability of your sources of interest as well as to check the websites that have them online, please click on this county's SOURCES LINKS TABLE .
3. Do you know the location that you wish to search in this county? If so, please check for some possible sources and some online information about your location of interest, by clicking on this county's POPULATED PLACES TABLE .
4. For further information regarding your sources of interest, see "4 Resources" ABOVE in the "CONTENTS" table and click on the source of interest.
Remember that you should always try to get an original copy of that source to verify information.
Please be aware that this is a growing Pilot program, with new information being added on a regular basis.
NOTE: If you would like to participate in contributing information into this WIKI program, please go to the "Create a New Page" section of this screen, and follow the guidelines.
WELCOME ABOARD! More sharers of information = more information available for everyone!
Prior to 1973, the regional municipality of Halton was known as Halton County. Halton County was formed in 1816 and named after Major William Mathew Halton, Secretary to Sir Francis Gore, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. For more details around the history of Halton County, refer to: http://www.halton.ca/cms/One.aspx?portalId=8310&pageId=8886
Prior to 1816, Halton County was part of the Home District of Upper Canada. In 1816, the Gore District was formed, comprised of two counties: Halton and Wentworth.
In 1816, Halton County contained the following townships: Beverly, Blanford, Blenheim, Dumfries, Flamborough, Nelson (formed in 1806), Nichol, Trafalgar (formed in 1806), Waterloo and Woolwich.
Halton County has seen many changes over the course of the years:
- In 1821, the Esquesing and Nassagaweya townships were added.
- In 1853, the Beverley township was transferred to Wentworth County.
- In 1854, the Flamborough township was transferred to Wentworth County.
- In 1973, Halton County was dissolved to form the regional municipality of Halton.
At this time, please read about Biographies in the Province of Ontario Resources - Biography.
At this time, please read about Cemeteries in the Province of Ontario Resources - Cemeteries .
At this time, please read about Census Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Census .
At this time, please read about Church Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Church Records .
At this time, please read about Court Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Court Records .
At this time, please read about Directories in the Province of Ontario Resources - Directories .
At this time, please read about Genealogies in the Province of Ontario Resources - Genealogy .
Land and Property Records
At this time, please read about Land and Property Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Land and Property .
At this time, please read about Local Histories in the Province of Ontario Resources - History .
At this time, please read about Maps in the Province of Ontario Resources - Maps .
At this time, please read about Military Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Military Records .
Newspapers & Obituaries
A Number of Halton County and present day Regional Municipality of Halton newspapers have been digitally scanned, indexed and are searchable online. http://news.halinet.on.ca/search provides a portal to search for birth, marriage and death announcements, article and in some cases, full issue browsing.
Searchable and/or archived Halton newspapers, including publication dates ranges:
- Acton Free Press, 1875-1984(1) (HHPL)
- Acton Tanner, 1992-1997(2) (HHPL)
- Burlington Gazette, 1899-1986(3) (BPL)
- Burlington Post (BPL)
- Canadian Champion (MPL)
- Daily Journal Record
- Erin Advocate (HHPL)
- Georgetown Gemini (HHPL)
- Georgetown Herald, 1867-1992 (HHPL)
- Georgetown Independent, 1973-1978 (HHPL)
- Georgetown Leader (HHPL)
- Halton Hills This Week (HHPL)
- Hamilton Spectator
- Independent & Free Press, 1985-present (HHPL)
- Nassagaweya Country News
- New Tanner (HHPL)
- North Halton Compass (HHPL)
- Oakville Beaver (OPL)
- Oakville Journal Record (OPL)
- Oakville News (OPL)
- Oakville Record (OPL)
- Oakville Record-Star (OPL)
- Oakville Star & Independent (OPL)
- Oakville Trafalgar Journal (OPL)
- Standard and Halton and Peel Gazetteer
The acronym in brackets after each newspaper denotes the public library that holds archived material for these papers (microfilm, microfiche etc). Library details are listed below:
BPL: Burlington Public Library (www.bpl.on.ca)
Central Branch: 905.639.3611
HHPL: Halton Hills Public Library (www.hhpl.on.ca)
Georgetown Branch(note this branch is closed until Fall 2012): 905-873-2681
MPL: Milton Public library (www.mpl.on.ca)
Main Street Branch: 905-875-2665
OPL: Oakville Public Library (www.opl.on.ca)
Central Branch: 905-815-2042
At this time, please read about Newspapers and Obituaries in the Province of Ontario Resources - Newspapers .
At this time, please read about Probate Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Probate Records .
At this time, please read about Taxation Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Taxation .
At this time, please read about Vital Records in the Province of Ontario Resources - Vital Records .
Societies and Libraries
- Bronte Village Historical Society: http://www.brontehistoricalsociety.ca/
- Burlington Historical Society: http://www.burlingtonhistoricalsociety.ca/
- Esquesing Historical Society: http://www.esquesinghistoricalsociety.ca/
- Milton Historical Society: http://www.miltonhistoricalsociety.ca/
- Halton-Peel Genealogical Scoiety: http://www.halinet.on.ca/sigs/ogshp/index.htm
- Oakville Historical Society: http://www.oakvillehistory.org/
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society: http://www.tths.ca/