Halkyn, Flintshire Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Halkyn, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
"HALKYN (HELYGLEN), a parish in the Northrop division of the hundred of Coleshill, county of Flint, 3 miles (S.E. by S.) from Holywell on the road from Chester to Holyhead, containing 1538 inhabitants. The tract of county in which this parish is situated was, at the time of the Norman Conquest, called Alchene, from which its present name is derived....The village, which has arisen within the present century, and greatly increased since the discovery of some rich mines in the vicinity, is pleasantly situated in a fertile district; and the elevated ground adjacent to it commands a fine prospect of the surrounding scenery which, on the north, east and south expands into an almost boundless view. .... The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small modern edifice, erected in 1745 and contains several good monuments. In the village is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists; at Pentre, one for Calivnistic methodists; and at Trev y Cae, one for Independents.." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
For more information on Halkyn see: Genuki - Halkyn
|before 31 March 1974||Flintshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Flintshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.