Halifax St John the Baptist, Yorkshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 21:23, 13 November 2012 by DunnPB (talk | contribs) (Major editing of two articles about Halifax's history)

Jump to: navigation, search

England Gotoarrow.png Yorkshire Gotoarrow.png Yorkshire Parishes Gotoarrow.png West Riding Gotoarrow.png Halifax

For a comprehensive list of Halifax's churches, see A Complete List of Halifax's Chapels and Churches.

Parish History

Here is an 1848 historical perspective on Halifax by the famous 19th century topographer, Samuel Lewis. For a more complete overview on Halifax's numerous churches, additional parish and chapel information has been added from Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870) to supplement this (Lewis') treatise on this very large township parish (see bracketed information below in the highlighted 'parish' section of this page):

"HALIFAX (St. John the Baptist), a parish, partly in the union of Todmorden, but chiefly in that of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York; comprising the market-town and borough of Halifax, the parochial chapelries of Elland and Heptonstall, and the townships of Barkisland, Erringden, Fixby, Hipperholme with Brighouse, Langfield, Lightcliffe, Luddenden, Midgley, Norland, Ovenden, North and South Owram, Rastrick, Ripponden, Rishworth, Shelf, Skircoat, Sowerby, Soyland, Stainland with Old Lindley, Stansfield, Wadsworth, and Warley; the whole containing 130,743 inhabitants, of whom 19,881 are in the town, 42 miles (S. W.) from York. 

The borough comprises the whole of the township of Halifax, and parts of the townships of North and South Owram, including an area of 1254 acres.

The present church is the third structure erected on the site, and some slight remains of former churches are incorporated in the building. A church dedicated to 'Holy Trinitywas built in 1798. The district church of St. James was erected in 1831. The district parish of St. Paul, King's-Cross'was opened in May 1847. Many other churches have been erected in the parish, which are described under the townships where they are respectively situated.  

From: Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 372-379. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50998 Date accessed: 12 August 2011.

From Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England, on Halifax

'The mother church, that of St. John the Baptist, stands at the east end of the town; is supposed to have been originally built, in the time of Henry III. All Souls church, or Haley hill church, noticed in our article on HALEY HILL, ranks next in interest to St. Johns. Trinity church, in Harrison lane, was built in 1795; and is a handsome Grecian edifice. St. James' church was built in 1828; and is in bad Gothic style. St. Mary's church was built in 1869, at a cost of £5, 500. A new cemetery was formed, in 1841, at a cost of about £5, 000; and another, at StoneyRoyd, was formed in 1861, at a cost of about £10, 000. An Independent chapel, near the railway station, was built in 1857, at a cost of above £1 5, 000; is in very ornate decorated English style; and consists of nave, cloisters, and transepts, with central tower and crocketed spire, rising to the height of 235 feet. Another Independent chapel, in the first pointed style. was built in 1869, at a cost of about £9, 000. There are also three other chapels for Independents, three for Baptists, one for Quakers, one for Unitarians, two for Wesleyans, one for Primitive Methodists, two for New Connexion Methodists, one for United Free Methodists, and one for Roman Catholics.]'''There are [additional] places of worship for... Methodists of the New Connexion, Unitarians, and Wesleyans...and a general cemetery for all denominations, formed at an expense of £2500.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Online Halifax St John the Baptist, Yorkshire Genealogy Parish Register Images and Indexes
 
Baptisms
Marriages
Burials
Earliest
1538
1538
1538
Images
1538-1812 Ancestry baptisms, marriages, and burials[1]
Indexes 1538-1599 Joiner[2]

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813.  Church of England records began in 1538 (St. John The Baptist), 1953 (St. James/St. Mary), 1832( St. James), 1903 (St. Hilda), 1872 (St. Augustine), 1798 (Holy Trinity), 1890 (St. Jude), 1870 (St. Mary).

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1512-1812 at Ancestry (£). Described as Halifax St John the Baptist. Partially indexed.
  2. 'Search Marriage Records in West Riding of Yorkshire,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 2 October 2012.