Grundy County, Illinois Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 20:33, 17 June 2011 by Dianekay (adding county info)
|Grundy County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 17, 1841|
|Address|| Grundy County Courthouse|
111 East Washington Street
Morris, Illinois 60450
County Clerk and Recorder
P.O. Box 675
Morris, Illinois 60450
Clerk of the Circuit Court
|Named for: Felix Grundy|
- 1 History
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Grundy County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Grundy Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- There may be some books that list records of cemeteries in Clinton County on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Grundy County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Grundy County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Grundy County.
- - 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 55th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
- - 76th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Grundy County, IllinoisGenealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- "Felix Grundy," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 194. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.