Difference between revisions of "Groveton, Coös County, New Hampshire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (m)
m (added breadcrumbs)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
''[[United States|United States]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[New Hampshire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Coös County, New Hampshire|Coös]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]'' '''Northumberland'''
 +
 +
<br>
 +
 
Groveton, New Hampshire got its name from a large grove of maple trees that stood near the railroad station in modern day (2013) Northumberland, New Hampshire. The town history claims that when the trees were cut down, the village was named 'Grove Town' and later the unofficial name was changed to Groveton.  
 
Groveton, New Hampshire got its name from a large grove of maple trees that stood near the railroad station in modern day (2013) Northumberland, New Hampshire. The town history claims that when the trees were cut down, the village was named 'Grove Town' and later the unofficial name was changed to Groveton.  
  
 
The land of this town was first granted in 1761 as Stonington. &nbsp;In 1771, the area was regranted as Northumberland, which is the official name of the town. The town hall and schools carry the Groveton name, however the police department uses the official name of Northumberland.  
 
The land of this town was first granted in 1761 as Stonington. &nbsp;In 1771, the area was regranted as Northumberland, which is the official name of the town. The town hall and schools carry the Groveton name, however the police department uses the official name of Northumberland.  
  
For more information, see the [[Northumberland, New Hampshire|Northumberland, New Hampshire]] page.
+
For more information, see the [[Northumberland, New Hampshire|Northumberland, New Hampshire]] page.  
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
{{reflist}}
 +
 
 +
&nbsp;{{NHCoo towns}}
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Coös_County,_New_Hampshire]] [[Category:Towns_in_New_Hampshire]]

Revision as of 01:35, 30 October 2013

United States Gotoarrow.png New Hampshire Gotoarrow.png Coös Gotoarrow.png Northumberland


Groveton, New Hampshire got its name from a large grove of maple trees that stood near the railroad station in modern day (2013) Northumberland, New Hampshire. The town history claims that when the trees were cut down, the village was named 'Grove Town' and later the unofficial name was changed to Groveton.

The land of this town was first granted in 1761 as Stonington.  In 1771, the area was regranted as Northumberland, which is the official name of the town. The town hall and schools carry the Groveton name, however the police department uses the official name of Northumberland.

For more information, see the Northumberland, New Hampshire page.