Greenlee County, Arizona Genealogy
|Greenlee County, Arizona|
Location in the state of Arizona
Location of Arizona in the U.S.
|Founded||March 10, 1909|
|Address|| P.O. Box 1296|
223 5th Street
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Family History Centers
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Greenlee County Courthouse
P O Box 908
Clifton, Az 85533
Clerk Superior Court has marriage, divorce,
probate and court records from 1911
County Recorder has land records 
- Until 1821 - New Spain controlled land that later would become Arizona. Some records of early settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
- In 1821 - Mexico obtained jurisdiction over the land that later would become Arizona. Records of this period may have been sent to archives in Mexico City.
- In 1846 - New Mexico Territory was setup, it included land that later would become Arizona.
- In 1852 - New Mexico Territory created counties that stretched east and west from the Texas border to the California border, including land that became Arizona. Land in present-day Greenlee County, Arizona was once part of Socorro and Doña Ana counties of New Mexico.  Records during this period may have been sent to courthouses in their respective New Mexico counties.
- In 1854 - the Gadsden Purchase land south of the Gila River, bought from Mexico. It including land that later became part of Greenlee County. This land was given to the already existing Doña Ana County, of New Mexico. Records of this period may have been sent to the Doña Ana County, New Mexico courthouse.
- In 1863 - Arizona Territory was created from the western half of New Mexico territory. All previous counties were dissolved, and eventually four new counties were created in the new Arizona Territory.
See Previous Jurisdictions to land in Arizona showing dates the jurisdictions were created and where. This will help in determining what jurisdiction your ancestor lived in and where the records are now located.
|Blue Vista||East Plantsite||Hannagan Meadow||Spur Cross||Whispering Pines|
Franklin Cemetery, Greenlee County, Arizona
For tips on accessing Greenlee County, Arizona Genealogy census records online, see: Arizona Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Societies and Libraries
Greenlee County Historical Society
315 Chase Creek
P.O. Box 1125
Clifton, AZ 85533
Hours 2-4:30 T, Th, Sat.
Family History Centers
112 Riverside Dr
Clifton, Greenlee, Arizona, United States
Fairgrounds Rd & Clifton Hwy
Duncan, Greenlee, Arizona, United States
These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Greenlee County, Arizona Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greenlee County, Arizona p. 56. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale, and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987), 26. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Original Counties of New Mexico Territory (map) at http://www.nmgs.org/Graphics/nmcoun-orig.jpg (accessed 9 August 2011).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).