Greenlee County, Arizona Genealogy
|Greenlee County, Arizona|
Location in the state of Arizona
Location of Arizona in the U.S.
|Founded||March 10, 1909|
|Address|| P.O. Box 1296|
223 5th Street
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Family History Centers
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Greenlee County Courthouse
P O Box 908
Clifton, Az 85533
Clerk Superior Court has marriage, divorce,
probate and court records from 1911
County Recorder has land records 
Arizona was part of New Spain until 1821, and then part of Mexico until 1846. Some records of early Arizona settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
Moreover, Arizona was part of the United States' New Mexico Territory from 1846 to 1863. In 1852 New Mexico Territory set up counties that stretched east and west including all the land that became part of Arizona. Present-day Greenlee County, Arizona was once part of Socorro and Doña Ana counties in New Mexico. When Arizona was created in 1863, these former counties were dissolved within Arizona's borders and eventually new counties were formed.
If an ancestor lived in what is now Greenlee County, Arizona between 1852 and 1863, first check for records in Greenlee County. However, there is also a small chance that a few papers were recorded in a parent county's courthouse in Arizona (if any), or in the corresponding parent county in New Mexico.
|Blue Vista||East Plantsite||Hannagan Meadow||Spur Cross||Whispering Pines|
Franklin Cemetery, Greenlee County, Arizona
For tips on accessing Greenlee County, Arizona Genealogy census records online, see: Arizona Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Societies and Libraries
Greenlee County Historical Society
315 Chase Creek
P.O. Box 1125
Clifton, AZ 85533
Hours 2-4:30 T, Th, Sat.
Family History Centers
112 Riverside Dr
Clifton, Greenlee, Arizona, United States
Fairgrounds Rd & Clifton Hwy
Duncan, Greenlee, Arizona, United States
These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Greenlee County, Arizona Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greenlee County, Arizona p. 56. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale, and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987), 26. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).