Difference between revisions of "Greenhill, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(updated template)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
St John Greenhill was a district church built and in operation by 1866 lying within the civil parish boundaries of Harrow St Mary. Here's the "History" of this small church from their website:
+
St John Greenhill was a district church built and in operation by 1866 lying within the civil parish boundaries of Harrow St Mary. Here's the "History" of this small church from [http://www.stjohn-greenhill.fsnet.co.uk/history.htm | their website]:
 
 
 
 
  
 
"For most of the last thousand years, the town of Harrow had its centre at the top of the hill, where St Mary's [ancient and civil parish] Church was consecrated in 1094. It was only in the nineteenth century that the village of Greenhill grew sufficiently—to a population of about 400—to require a church of its own, which was built on the present site in 1866. This small brick church, sometimes called the “candle snuffer” from the shape of its tower, was staffed by assistant curates from St Mary's, and in 1885 Rev. Thomas Smith (known to all as Tommy) was licensed as curate in charge of St John's. The Victoria Hall, a parish hall rather than a church hall, but with close connections with the church, was opened on the site of the shops at the west end of the church in 1888. (It was rebuilt in its present position in Sheepcote Road in 1963.) Greenhill became a separate parish in 1896, with Tommy Smith as its first vicar."<br>
 
"For most of the last thousand years, the town of Harrow had its centre at the top of the hill, where St Mary's [ancient and civil parish] Church was consecrated in 1094. It was only in the nineteenth century that the village of Greenhill grew sufficiently—to a population of about 400—to require a church of its own, which was built on the present site in 1866. This small brick church, sometimes called the “candle snuffer” from the shape of its tower, was staffed by assistant curates from St Mary's, and in 1885 Rev. Thomas Smith (known to all as Tommy) was licensed as curate in charge of St John's. The Victoria Hall, a parish hall rather than a church hall, but with close connections with the church, was opened on the site of the shops at the west end of the church in 1888. (It was rebuilt in its present position in Sheepcote Road in 1963.) Greenhill became a separate parish in 1896, with Tommy Smith as its first vicar."<br>
  
From: http://www.stjohn-greenhill.fsnet.co.uk/history.htm
+
== Resources  ==
 
 
<br>
 
 
 
== Resources  ==
 
  
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
Line 19: Line 13:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
==== Church records  ====
+
==== Church records  ====
  
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
+
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use [http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
 +
 
 +
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 30: Line 26:
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records|Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records|Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 +
==== Poor Law Unions ====
 +
 +
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
  
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 
 
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
  
== Web sites  ==
+
== Web sites  ==
 
 
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
[[Category:England]] [[Category:Middlesex]]
+
[[Category:Middlesex]]

Revision as of 17:40, 21 May 2010

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes

Parish History

St John Greenhill was a district church built and in operation by 1866 lying within the civil parish boundaries of Harrow St Mary. Here's the "History" of this small church from | their website:

"For most of the last thousand years, the town of Harrow had its centre at the top of the hill, where St Mary's [ancient and civil parish] Church was consecrated in 1094. It was only in the nineteenth century that the village of Greenhill grew sufficiently—to a population of about 400—to require a church of its own, which was built on the present site in 1866. This small brick church, sometimes called the “candle snuffer” from the shape of its tower, was staffed by assistant curates from St Mary's, and in 1885 Rev. Thomas Smith (known to all as Tommy) was licensed as curate in charge of St John's. The Victoria Hall, a parish hall rather than a church hall, but with close connections with the church, was opened on the site of the shops at the west end of the church in 1888. (It was rebuilt in its present position in Sheepcote Road in 1963.) Greenhill became a separate parish in 1896, with Tommy Smith as its first vicar."

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.