Greene County, Missouri Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
See an interactive map of Greene County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
Greene County, Missouri published Greene County Archives Bulletins from at least 1988 to 1995. These bulletins included guides and indexes to several types of records for the county, including divorce records, Circuit Court records, naturalization records, coroner's record books, stray records, Alms House records, etc. A listing of the contents of these bulletins is available online. Most of the specific titles are included in the descriptions of the records under the appropriate record type below.
Many of the early records of Greene County have been microfilmed and are available through the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and its family history centers.
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has burial records for Veterans Affairs National Cemeteries including Springfield National Cemetery and Missouri Veterans Cemetery in Springfield, Mo.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
When Greene County was formed in 1833, a Circuit Court was established and has continued to the present day. Historically there were at least four other courts in Greene County:
See Greene County, Missouri Court Records for a more complete description of these courts and their records.
History of Greene County, Missouri written and compiled from the most authentic official and private sources, including a history of its townships, towns and villages... (1883) is available online free from Google Books.
- Map of Greene County townships (Histopolis)
- 1904 Plat Map of Greene County at American Memory (Library of Congress)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Greene County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Hulston Library
- Confederate pension rolls on microfilm for Missouri at the Local History and Genealogy Department of The Library Center (Springfield-Greene County Library District)
- Local History and Genealogy Department at the Springfield-Greene County Library has Springfield newspapers on microfilm back well into the 1800s.
Greene County had a poor farm that was a support for ill or indigent people of the county. It was initially called the County Poor Farm, then the County Home, and in 1955 became Sunshine Acres. It was closed in 1978.
Registers of those who were cared for by this facility have been indexed for the years 1875 to 1955. The index is available online in two parts:
- An Index to the Register of the Alms House, 1875-1923
- An Index to the Register of the Alms House, 1916-1955
A Guide to the Records of the Probate Court of Greene County is available online as published in the County Archives Bulletins. These records, including wills, inventories, settlements, and other probate documents, are part of the records of the Circuit Court and its divisions. Many have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through their family history centers.
Tax lists have been abstracted for 1833-1835, 1843, 1851, 1856, and 1890. These can be found at the Local History & Genealogy department at The Library Center (Springfield-Greene County Library).
The vital records kept by the courts and other offices in Greene County include documents relating to marriages, divorces, and deaths. See Greene County, Missouri Vital Records for a more complete description of these records and their indexes.
Societies and Libraries
Ozarks Genealogical Society (Click on "About Us" and select "Library")
Greene County Archives has original records for public viewing. All probate loose files up to the 1960s are indexed. Naturalization records arranged alphabetically. All of the original records which have been indexed and abstracted are available here.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Springfield Missouri Family History Center
- Springfield Missouri South Family History Center
- Willard Missouri Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Guide to the Courts of Greene County, Missouri available online.