Difference between revisions of "Greene County, Indiana Genealogy"
(Added Family History Center Link)
(Added Indiana Tax Intro and Indiana Tax End)
|Line 164:||Line 164:|
==== School Records ====
==== School Records ====
==== Taxation ====
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
Revision as of 21:35, 19 July 2013
Guide to Greene County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greene County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 5, 1821|
|Address|| Green County Courthouse|
PO Box 229
Bloomfield, IN 47424
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Histories
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military Records
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Occupations
- 2.21 Probate Records
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 School Records
- 2.25 Taxation
- 2.26 Vital Records
- 2.27 Voter Registration
- 2.28 Web Sites
- 3 References
For tips on accessing Greene County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Greene County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
For more information about these major repositories, see Indiana Church Records.
- Directory of Businesses in Greene County, Indiana (1858) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Caperton, Neda.Index of Names in the Sullivan County Section of History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, 1884.( [Indianapolis]: Indiana Historical Society Library, 1972.) 977.242 H2hi FHL US/CAN FamilySearch Books Online (History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, 1884); FHL Collection other library
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
- Family Maps of Greene County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- African American Veterans in Greene County, Indiana (1890) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Civil War service men from Greene County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greene County
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Company I
- 2nd Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company B
- 13th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company F
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C, and Reorganized Company H
- 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 31st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies F, and H
- 43rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 59th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companied A, D, and E
- 80th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 85th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Compank K
- 97th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, C, E, F, G, and I
- 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company A
- 133rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 140th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 145th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and I
- 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 147th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 149th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, F, G, and K
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Book
- "Military History of Greence County" Chaper 8, 9, 10, in Caperton, Neda.Index of Names in the Sullivan County Section of History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, 1884. ( [Indianapolis]: Indiana Historical Society Library, 1972.) (page 115-181, Regiment, Companies, Names), 977.242 H2hi FHL US/CAN FamilySearch Books Online (History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, Indiana, 1884); FHL Collection other lirary
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Roster of Civilian Conservation Corps, Jasonville, Greene County, Indiana (1938) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Roster of Civilian Conservation Corps, Worthington, Greene County, Indiana (1938) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Green County Courthouse
PO Box 229;
Bloomfield, IN 47424;
County Clerk has marriage, divorce and court records from 821
probate records from 1823 and naturalization records 1854-1906.
County Recorder has land records from 1824, military records
and some cemetery records. County Health Department has.
birth records from 1885 and death records from 1893. 
Family History Centers
The main FamilySearch Center for Greene County, Indiana Genealogy is the
For additional nearby Family History Centers, search online in the [Family History Center directory].
Indiana tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties.
For more information see the wiki page Indiana Taxation.
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Greene County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, Indiana 213 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.