Greene County, Illinois Genealogy
|Greene County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 20, 1821|
|Address|| Greene County Courthouse|
519 N. Main Street
Carrollton, Illinois 62016-1033
County Clerk and Recorder
Circuit Court Clerk
|Named for: Nathanael Greene|
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Greene County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Greene Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Greene County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Greene County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
History of Greene County -- Its Past and Present by Clement L. Capp can be viewed for no charge online at the Internet Archive. "The book is dated 1879, so it includes the history of the county and its residents from the beginning of the county up to 1879. This is a wonderful resource for a genealogist if they have family that lived in Greene County before 1879. The book has 784 pages and contains detailed information on the history of the county, including the history of the towns within Greene County. There are illustrations of farms, pioneer dwellings, companies, and Indians and their impact on the history of the county. Portraits are also included of some of the early pioneers. The book also contains maps, War Records, Directories, and an abstract of Illinois State Law." It can also be downloaded to view on a Kindle.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Greene County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Greene County.
- - 59th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company G.
- - 61st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A, E, and G.
- - 91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies G, H, I, and K.
Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois offers the following online free death indexes:
- Deaths 1909-1911
- Greene County Patient Deaths at the Illinois State Hospital
- WWII U.S. Army Deaths
- Index to Greene County Illinois Inquest Files
- Simpson Funeral Home Records
- Coroner's Record Books: Book 1 (1874-1883) and Book 2 (1884-1919)
Societies and Libraries
The Greene County Historical & Genealogical Society is located in the Lee-Baker-Hodges House on North Main Street on the northwest corner of the square in Carrollton, Illinois. The Society Library and Museum hours are currently Wednesday & Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. The entrance is at the side door at the top of the ramp. For more information, see their website.
The genealogical society has a file folder for each surname. The folders contain summaries of newspaper articles, burial locations (including some unmarked graves) and extractions of marriage and probate records.
The courthouse is located across the street and the County Clerk's office is open on Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Greene County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Greene County, Illinois (Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois) Cemeteries, Census, Death Records, Local Histories, Military, Naturalizations, Newspapers, Probate Index, Soldier's and Sailor's Home
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 194. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.