Greenbrier County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Greenbrier County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Genealogy
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Migration
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Naturalization
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Occupations
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
200 North Court St
P O Box 506
Lewisburg, WV 24901-0506
- County Clerk has birth and death from 1853
- Marriage from 1781
- Probate and Land from 1780
- and Court Records
See an interactive map of Greenbrier County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Greenbrier County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
1790 - Lost, but a subsitute is available, see Taxation.
1800 - Lost, but a subsitute is available, see Taxation.
1810 - Lost, but a subsitute is available, see Taxation.
1820-1850 - Exist, available online and in print:
- Shuck, Larry G. The Federal Censuses for Greenbrier County, Virginia, 1820, 1830, 1840 and 1850. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1990. Available at FHL.
- Braun, Johannes, Klaus Wust and Joseph H. Meyerhoeffer. Shenandoah Valley Family Data, 1799-1813: From the Memorandum Book of Pastor Johannes Braun. Edinburg, Va.: Shenandoah History Publishers, 1978. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 K2bjo.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Greenbrier County Heritage Book Committee. Greenbrier County, West Virginia, Family Heritage, 1997. n.p.: Walsworth Pub. Co., 1996. FHL Book 975.488 H2gr.
- [Arthur] Arthur Family Genealogy of Bedford, Greenbrier & Cabell counties, Va., W. Va. and Jackson Co., Ohio. Microfilmed 1992: FHL Film 1697667 Item 44.
- [Braun] West, Klaus and Joseph H. Meyerhoeffer. Shenandoah Valley Family Data, 1799-1813, From the Memorandum Book of Pastor Johannes Braun. Edinburg, Va.: Shenandoah History Publishers, 1978. FHL Book 975.5 K2bjo.
- [Burnside] Clark, Bertha Lewis and Margaret Byrnside Ballard. Burnside Family of Scotland and America, Augusta, Rockingham, Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Virginia and West Virginia, and Other Sections. Typescript, 1960. FHL Film 1017645 Item 10.
- [Burnside] Clark, Bertha Lewis and Margaret Byrnside Ballard. Burnside Family of the Upper Greenbrier. Typescript, 1960. FHL Film 1017645 Item 11.
- [Caldwell] Caldwell, Arthur B. "Kinkead Caldwell 1769-1828 Early Missouri Settler," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 3, No. 18 (Dec. 1980):40-48. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 3 (1980).
- [Childers] Childers Family Bible: of William Benton Childers Born 1866, d. 1954; Gallia & Franklin counties of Ohio and Greenbrier County Viarginia [i.e. Virginia] (now WV); Also Includes Rickabaugh, Lewis, 1754-1989. FHL CD-ROM no. 1295.
- [Dilley] Jones, Thomas W. "Dilley of Northern Virginia and Ohio: A Proposed Solution Hanging on a Single Word," The American Genealogist, Vol. 79, No. 3 (Jul. 2004):220-227.
- [Eagle] Eagle, Lawrence H. Eagles of the Virginias and Their Pioneering Descendants in Dakota Territory: History and Genealogy. Sioux Falls, S.D.: L.H. Eagle, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 Ea35e.
- [Eagle] Eagle, Lawrence H. The Greenbrier Branch: History and Genealogy of the Timothy Eagle--David Patterson Families and Collateral Lines. Sioux Falls, N.D.: L.H. Eagle, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 Ea35e supp. 1
- [Gillian] Williams, Elizabeth Pierce. Pierce/Gillilan Families: Some Descendants of John Pers of Watertown, Massachusetts, Who Had Emigrated from Norwich, Norfolk County, England and of Nathan Gillian of Greenbriar County, Virginia. Los Angeles, Calif.: E.P. Williams, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 P611wp.
- [Henderson] Miller, Joseph Lyon. Ancestry and Descendants of Lieut. John Henderson of Greenbrier County, Virginia, 1650-1900. Richmond, Va.: Whittet & Shepperson, 1902. FHL Film 1036365 Item 1; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Holtzopple] Holsopple (Holtzopple)-LeFevre Genealogy. MSS. Microfilmed 1992: FHL Film 1697698 Item 4.
- [Kelly] Kelly, Kathryn, "Abraham Kelly from Virginia to Ohio," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Sep. 1996):70-71. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 2 (Sep. 1996).
- [Kincaid] Johnson, Ollie Tepton. Genealogy of the Kincaid Family of Greenbrier County, West Virginia: Descendants of Samuel Kincaid. Typescript. Microfilmed 2005: FHL Film 1783413 Item 7.
- [Lewis] Johnson, Patricia Givens. General Andrew Lewis of Roanoke and Greenbrier. Christianburg, Va.: Givens, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 L585j.
- [McClung] McClung, William. The McClung Genealogy: A Genealogical and Biographical Record of the McClung Family from the Time of Their Emigration to the Year 1904. Pittsburgh, Pa.: McClung Printing Company, 1904. FHL Film 908768 Item 1; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [McClung] McClung, Rheba Irrene. The Greenbrier McClung Way. Parkersburg, W. Va.: Easton Printing Co., 1990. FHL Book 929.273 M132mi.
- [McClung] McClung, Judith A. The McClung Family Association: Greenbrier Section, as Posted at RootsWeb Freepages, 2004. Based on The McClung Genealogy (1904). FHL Fiche 6008573.
- [Morgan] Hayden, Richard A. "Resolving the Inexplicable: The Marriage Bond of Archibald Young and Lettice Morgan," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 95, No. 1 (March 2007):5-16. FHL Collection 973 B2ng v. 95 (2007)
- [Morrison] Morrison, Warren Dale. A Branch of the Andrew Morrison Family of Greenbrier County, (W) Virginia. Granbury, Texas: W.D. Morrison, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 M834mwar.
- [Porter] Barnett, Bobby D. Descendants of Mitchell Porter: Revolutionary War Soldier. [South Pasadena, Fla.]: B.D. Barnett, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 P834bb
- [Rayburn] Machir, Violette S. Some Chapman, Jolly, Rayburn and Smith Families in W.Va. & Ohio. Middleport, Ohio: Quality Print Shop, 1966. FHL Fiche 6017211.
- [Robertson] Roberson, Rhonda S. "Genealogical Sketches of Revolutionary War Soldiers: William Robertson," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Apr. 1978):55-78. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Robertson] Robertson, Rhonda. William Robertson of England and His Descendants: (A Partial Genealogy). n.p.: Rhonda Robertson, 1978. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R545rr.
- Clay, Robert Y. "Some Delinquent Taxpayers 1787-1790," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1976):199-208. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($). [These records identify migrants who left the county and often their intended destinations. Greenbrier County's 1788 Delinquent List appears on pp. 126-127.]
French and Indian War
- Bockstruck, Lloyd DeWitt. Virginia's Colonial Soldiers. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988. Available at FHL. [Identifies some Greenbrier County veterans; see place name index.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Greenbrier County on page 134.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Lewisburg silversmiths.]
West Virginia Will Books
- [1780s-1815] Shuck, Larry G. Greenbrier County (West) Virginia Personal Property Tax Lists: 1782/3, 1786/8, 1792, 1796, 1799, 1805 & 1815. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1990. Available at FHL.
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Greenbrier County is included in Vol. 1.]
-  Clay, Robert Y. "Some Delinquent Taxpayers 1787-1790," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1976):199-208. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($). [These records identify migrants who left the county and often their intended destinations. Greenbrier County's 1788 Delinquent List appears on pp. 126-127.]
-  Indexed images of the 1791 Personal Property Tax List of Greenbrier County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Images of the 1803 Personal Property Tax List of Greenbrier County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Schreiner-Yates, Netti. A Supplement to the 1810 Census of Virginia: Tax Lists of the Counties for which the Census is Missing. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1971. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1810 personal property tax list. Greenbrier County is included because the 1810 Census for that county has been destroyed.]
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Greenbrier County is included in Vol. 5.]
- Shuck, Larry G. Greenbrier County Birth Records, 1853-1899: In Two Volumes; Extracted from County Birth Registers. 2 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1995. Available at FHL.
- Shuck, Larry G. Greenbrier County Death Records, 1853-1901. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1993. Available at FHL.
Societies and Libraries
Son of the American Revolution Society 132
North Court Street
Lewisburg, West Virginia 24901
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- White Sulphur Springs West Virginia Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
Learning How toEdit our Wiki Sites
Family History Hall of Fame
"May we preserve their memories & Contributions!"
Send us information on our family history mentors!
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- J.T. McAllister, Virginia Militia in the Revolutionary War: McAllister's Data (Hot Springs, Va.: McAllister Pub. Co., 1913), 33-34. Digitized by Internet Archive.