Difference between revisions of "Great Marlborough Street, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - "Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above." to "{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}")
(7 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex Parishes]]  
+
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  Great Marlborough Street
  
== Parish History  ==
+
== Church History  ==
  
The district church of St. John the Baptist was formed in 1865 to serve an area of St. James's Piccadilly Westminster parish which was bounded approximately by Oxford Street, Poland Street, Brewer Street, Bridle Lane, the former Carnaby Market and Argyll Street. Services were first held in a room behind No. 49 Poland Street and later, from May 1867 until September 1869, in the conservatory of the Pantheon. In 1869 Nos. 49 and 50 Great Marlborough Street were purchased for £6100, and in September of that year a temporary iron church was opened on part of the back premises. Shortage of funds delayed plans for a permanent building, and it was not until 1884 that a promised grant of money from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests at last made it possible for work to begin. A. W. Blomfield was the architect of the new church, and by December 1884 a building contract had been signed with John Woodward. The temporary church was closed on 31 December 1884, and services were held in a mission room in Cambridge Street. The site in Great Marlborough Street was conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 7 February 1885 and the completed church was consecrated on 23 November 1885. The cost of the building was £5100, of which £4000 was given by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.  
+
The district church of St. John the Baptist was formed in 1865 to serve an area of&nbsp;St. James's Piccadilly Westminster parish which was bounded approximately by Oxford Street, Poland Street, Brewer Street, Bridle Lane, the former Carnaby Market and Argyll Street. Services were first held in a room behind No. 49 Poland Street and later, from May 1867 until September 1869, in the conservatory of the Pantheon. In 1869 Nos. 49 and 50 Great Marlborough Street were purchased for £6100, and in September of that year a temporary iron church was opened on part of the back premises. Shortage of funds delayed plans for a permanent building, and it was not until 1884 that a promised grant of money from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests at last made it possible for work to begin. A. W. Blomfield was the architect of the new church, and by December 1884 a building contract had been signed with John Woodward. The temporary church was closed on 31 December 1884, and services were held in a mission room in Cambridge Street. The site in Great Marlborough Street was conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 7 February 1885 and the completed church was consecrated on 23 November 1885. The cost of the building was £5100, of which £4000 was given by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.<ref>F. H. W. Sheppard, ed. ''Survey of London'': volumes 31 and 32: St James Westminster, Part 2, (London: 1963. 250-267. Online [ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41476| here]. Accessed: 22 April 2010.</ref>
  
From: ''Survey of London'': volumes 31 and 32: St James Westminster, Part 2 (1963), pp. 250-267. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41476 Date accessed: 22 April 2010.
+
<br>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 15: Line 15:
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
  
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
+
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use [http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
 +
 
 +
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
  
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records|Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records|Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 +
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 +
 +
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
  
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
Line 34: Line 40:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
+
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
 +
 
 +
== References ==
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
[[Category:England]] [[Category:Middlesex]]
+
[[Category:Middlesex]]

Revision as of 17:13, 31 May 2012

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png  Great Marlborough Street

Church History

The district church of St. John the Baptist was formed in 1865 to serve an area of St. James's Piccadilly Westminster parish which was bounded approximately by Oxford Street, Poland Street, Brewer Street, Bridle Lane, the former Carnaby Market and Argyll Street. Services were first held in a room behind No. 49 Poland Street and later, from May 1867 until September 1869, in the conservatory of the Pantheon. In 1869 Nos. 49 and 50 Great Marlborough Street were purchased for £6100, and in September of that year a temporary iron church was opened on part of the back premises. Shortage of funds delayed plans for a permanent building, and it was not until 1884 that a promised grant of money from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests at last made it possible for work to begin. A. W. Blomfield was the architect of the new church, and by December 1884 a building contract had been signed with John Woodward. The temporary church was closed on 31 December 1884, and services were held in a mission room in Cambridge Street. The site in Great Marlborough Street was conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 7 February 1885 and the completed church was consecrated on 23 November 1885. The cost of the building was £5100, of which £4000 was given by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.[1]


Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. F. H. W. Sheppard, ed. Survey of London: volumes 31 and 32: St James Westminster, Part 2, (London: 1963. 250-267. Online [ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41476%7C here]. Accessed: 22 April 2010.