Difference between revisions of "Great Dunham, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Added to parish history)
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk Parishes]]  
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Great Dunham (Norfolk) St Andrew's Church .jpg|thumb|right]]  
+
[[Image:Great Dunham (Norfolk) St Andrew's Church .jpg|thumb|right|Great Dunham (Norfolk) St Andrew's Church .jpg]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
DUNHAM, GREAT, a '''parish''', in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Swaffham. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A.,[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50930#s7 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 102-105 Date accessed: 18 March 2013.</ref><br> <br> Great Dunham St Andrew is an Ancient parish in the Brisley deanery of the dioces of Norwich.<br>  
+
DUNHAM, GREAT, a '''parish''', in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Swaffham. There are places of worship for '''Wesleyans''' and'''Baptists'''.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A.,[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50930#s7 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 102-105 Date accessed: 18 March 2013.</ref><br> <br> Great Dunham St Andrew is an Ancient parish in the Brisley deanery of the dioces of Norwich.<br>  
  
 
Great Dunham is situated in the Hundred of Launditch. It was an outlying estate of the important royal manor of Mileham, formerly in the hands of Stigand, Saxon bishop of Elmham (East Anglia) (1043) and Archbishop of Canterbury (1052), but at the time of Domesday Survey held for the king by the Norman, William de Noyers. Domesday Survey records that Reynold the priest had holdings in Dunham, with the daughter of the landholder, Payne. St Andrew's church was among the possessions of nearby Castle Acre Priory. A charter of 1138-45 issued by bishop Everard of Norwich refers to the chapel of St Mary belonging to St Andrew's.<br>  
 
Great Dunham is situated in the Hundred of Launditch. It was an outlying estate of the important royal manor of Mileham, formerly in the hands of Stigand, Saxon bishop of Elmham (East Anglia) (1043) and Archbishop of Canterbury (1052), but at the time of Domesday Survey held for the king by the Norman, William de Noyers. Domesday Survey records that Reynold the priest had holdings in Dunham, with the daughter of the landholder, Payne. St Andrew's church was among the possessions of nearby Castle Acre Priory. A charter of 1138-45 issued by bishop Everard of Norwich refers to the chapel of St Mary belonging to St Andrew's.<br>  
Line 65: Line 65:
 
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/greatdunham/greatdunham.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>  
 
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/greatdunham/greatdunham.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>  
  
== Resources ==
+
== Reference  ==
  
{{reflist}}
+
{{reflist}}  
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 20:32, 8 April 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Parishes

Great Dunham (Norfolk) St Andrew's Church .jpg

Parish History

DUNHAM, GREAT, a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Swaffham. There are places of worship for Wesleyans andBaptists.[1]

Great Dunham St Andrew is an Ancient parish in the Brisley deanery of the dioces of Norwich.

Great Dunham is situated in the Hundred of Launditch. It was an outlying estate of the important royal manor of Mileham, formerly in the hands of Stigand, Saxon bishop of Elmham (East Anglia) (1043) and Archbishop of Canterbury (1052), but at the time of Domesday Survey held for the king by the Norman, William de Noyers. Domesday Survey records that Reynold the priest had holdings in Dunham, with the daughter of the landholder, Payne. St Andrew's church was among the possessions of nearby Castle Acre Priory. A charter of 1138-45 issued by bishop Everard of Norwich refers to the chapel of St Mary belonging to St Andrew's.

The modern deanery is Dereham in Mitford

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • Mitford 1837-1938
  • East Dereham 1939-1974


Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 684

Census records

a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.




Poor Law Unions

Mitford &Launditch      http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm

Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.

Norfolk Poor Law Unions

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/great-dunham-st-andrew/ for information about the parish

http://www.crsbi.ac.uk/search/county/site/ed-nf-gtdsa.html for images and architecture of the church

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-220405-church-of-st-andrew-great-dunham British Listed buildings

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/greatdunham/greatdunham.htm Norfolk Churches website

Reference

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 102-105 Date accessed: 18 March 2013.