Gray County, Kansas Genealogy
Gray County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Gray County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 5, 1887|
|Address|| Gray County Courthouse|
P.O. Box 487
Cimarron, Kansas 67835-0487
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Gray County Courthouse
PO Box 487
Cimarron, KS 67835-0487
Probate Judge has marriage records from 1887 and probate records from 1885.
Clerk District Court has divorce records from 1887.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1887.
County Clerk has tax roll census from 1889 and school records. 
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Men from this County enlisted in 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A. For further information about the Civil War see Marion County, Kanas.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Gray County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gray County, Kansas page 251, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).