Difference between revisions of "Grant County, West Virginia Genealogy"
(added dates to table)
|Line 116:||Line 116:|
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
West Virginia Civil War [https://familysearch.org/search ]
==== Naturalization ====
==== Naturalization ====
Revision as of 19:04, 8 July 2016
Guide to Grant County West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grant County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 14, 1866|
|Address|| Grant County Courthouse|
5 Highland Ave
Petersburg, WV 26351
Grant County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Grant County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has birth marriage divorce probate court and land records since 1866
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Grant County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Grant County families include:
- O'Dell, Cecil. Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia. Marceline, Mo.: Walsworth Pub. Co., 1995. FHL Collection. One of the most impressively researched one-place studies in the United States. In a review, Dorman stated "Comprehensive studies such as this appear only rarely. This volume should be in every Virginia genealogical collection."
- [Hyres] Swisher, Robert Edward. The Hyres of West Virginia. Richmond, Va.: Whittet and Shepperson, 1977. FHL Book 929.273 H999a.
- 1861-1865 - West Virginia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
Greenbrier County,West Virginia Wills 1777-1962
Grant County, West Virginia Will Books 1866 - 1969
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records: Birth, Death, Marriages
. Includes marriages 1866-1969 - free.
- Grant County, West Virginia births, marriages, deaths, wills, inventories and church records Contains list of births 1733-1899; marriages 1866-1899 (includes "colored persons" 1867-1899); deaths 1865-1899; wills, inventories, etc. 1866-1899; copied from old North Mill Creek Lutheran Church were deaths 1792-1805, church membership 1791-1889 (includes communicants and confirmations), baptisms 1798-1889; and burials from various cemeteries ca. 1800-1935
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Grant County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grant County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):236.