Difference between revisions of "Grant County, South Dakota Genealogy"
(Added Newspaper record repositories template)
|Line 85:||Line 85:|
=== Newspapers ===
=== Newspapers ===
=== Taxation ===
=== Taxation ===
Revision as of 20:56, 26 June 2013United States South Dakota Grant County
Grant County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Grant County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1873|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Grant County Courthouse
210 E 5th Ave; PO Box 509
Milbank, SD 57252-2433
Clerk Court has birth and death records from 1905,
marriage records from 1890, divorce, probate, and
court records from 1897 and newspapers from 1880;
Register of Deeds has land records 
17 June 1878: Government functions began after months of inactivity, after a petition to the Governor asking for the organization. Seat was at Inkpa City.
1881: County seat was moved to Milbank after November 1881 election, the case was appealed to court. Milbank won over 2 other towns.
1905, 1915, 1925
Unique information may include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation and Military Service
- 1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Church History and Records
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Local histories are available for Grant County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Grant County, South Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- Grant County Library
207 East Park Ave
- Grant County History Society
Third Avenue and Third Street
PO Box 201
Milbank, SD 57252
Email Contact on site
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Grant County, South Dakota, p.624
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).