Grant County, Oregon Genealogy
|Grant County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||October 14, 1862|
|County Seat||Canyon City|
|Address|| Grant County Court|
201 S. Humboldt St., #280
Canyon City, OR 97820
|Named for: General Ulysses S. Grant|
- 1 Quick Facts
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Quick FactsNamed for General Ulysses S. Grant, General of the Union Army at the time.
Gold was discovered in what is now Canyon Creek in 1862, bring a gold rush into the area.
- Records Held at the Courthouse
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Grant County Court House as of July 2004.
- Records Loss:
17 February 1899: Wheeler County set off.
23 February 1899: Harney County set off.
Places / Localities
The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
- 1870 - the portion that is now Harney County was not enumerated.
- 1880 - the portion that is now Harney County was not enumerated. This includes what is now Burns, Harney, etc.
- 1890 - most census's burned in fire and not available. Try finding state census.
- United States 1900 Census
- United States 1910 Census $
- United States 1920 Census $
- United States 1930 Census $
Church History and Records
Emigration and Immigration
- Ellis Island Passenger Arrival Records, 1892-1924, listing passengers who stated they are going to Grant County, Oregon
Land and Property
- Social Security Death Index, begins about 1962 to at least 2 months ago.
- Western States Marriage Index
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- The Grant County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- [http://www.usgwarchives.org/or/grant/granttoc.htm The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- webtree.com, listing individuals who born or died in Grant County, Oregon. Submitters of gedcoms may add, update or remove contents.
- Grant County Oregon History and Genealogy
- Family History Library Catalog for Grant County.