Grant County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Grant County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grant County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1868|
|County Seat||Elbow Lake|
|Address|| Grant County Courthouse|
Elbow Lake, MN 56531
Grant County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1877,
marriage records from 1869, divorce
and court records from 1883.
Probate Judge has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
- 1868--Grant County was created 6 March 1868 from Stevens, Wilkin, and Traverse Counties. It was attached to Douglas County from 1868 to 1873 for judicial purposes. County seat: Elbow Lake 
- For brief history of how Grant County was named, click here, then select Grant County.
Ashby | Barrett | Elbow Lake | Herman | Hoffman | Norcross | Wendell
Delaware Township | Elbow Lake Township | Elk Lake Township | Erdahl Township | Gorton Township | Land Township | Lawrence Township | Lien Township | Logan Township | Macsville Township | North Ottawa Township | Pelican Lake Township | Pomme de Terre Township | Roseville Township | Sanford Township | Stony Brook Township
Erdahl | Pomme de Terre
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Elbow Lake Lutheran Church
- Records of Elbow Lake Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Immanuel Lutheran Church
- Records of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Grant County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Grant – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Grant County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Grant County Naturalization Records An inventory of naturalization records by the Grant Historical Society.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Grant County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grant County, Minnesota page 364, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.