Grand Ronde-Siletz Indian Agency (Oregon)
United States American Indians Oregon Indians of Oregon Grand Ronde-Siletz Indian Agency (Oregon) Guide to Grand Ronde-Siletz Indian Agency (Oregon) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Grand Ronde-Siletz Agency was established in 1938, thus relieving the Salem (Chemawa) school of its agency duties. The consolidated agency was terminated in 1956.
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same.Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
Most of the records for the earlier Grand Ronde and Siletz Agencies appear to have been carried down as separate records when its duties were carried out by the Salem School. When the Grand Ronde-Siletz Agency was established, again the records appear to have gone into the holdings of the new agency and are among the records of that consolidated agency now housed in the Pacific Alaska Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Seattle. Among these records are:
- Census records, 1925-1950
- School census cards, 1932-1945
- Land enrollment records, 1942-1954
Records Available through the Family History Library
- Vital Statistics, 1913-1952 FHL Collection,film: 1025304-1025305
- School Records, 1892-1945 FHL Collection,film 1025311 and 1025312
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, p. 161.
- Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.