Glasgow Dissenters Nonconformist Churches

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 06:03, 8 December 2011 by Frostfire12 (talk | contribs) (spelling corrections ~~~~)

Jump to: navigation, search

Scotland Gotoarrow.png Lanarkshire Gotoarrow.png Glasgow

Here is a list of the dissenting churches in the Glasgow area with information about their histories and records.

Glasgow Congregational Churches


In 1799, Robert Haldane purchased the Circus on Jamaica Street, Glasgow, and converted it into a Tabernacle and opened it for public worship. A congregation was soon formed and a Sunday school begun. When the Haldanes converted to Baptist principles in 1809, this congregation was deprived of its building and constructed a new church called the Nile Street Chapel. Another new church was built in 1857 at the corner of West Campbell and Waterloo Streets and was named the Ewing Place Chapel. Later the congregation moved still further west to the Hillhead district in 1890. Other congregations, an Independent congregation formed about 1800 and ceased to meet in 1807. In 1803 another congregation was formed from members of the Nile Street Chapel. It met in various locations until a new church was built in 1856 and was called Elgin Place. (See next page for records.) Another congregation was formed in 1825 and worshiped at various locations until a church was acquired in Eglinton Street in 1866. Another congregation was formed in 1834 by members of the Elgin Place Church who eventually worshiped on North Hanover Street. This church ceased in 1878 when the majority of the members transferred to the Parkgrove Church on Paisley Road. This congregation became the Church of Scotland in 1886. Another congregation was formed in 1843 and worshiped on Muslin Street. It became sympathetic with the Evangelical Union and the Union in 1861. The congregation’s name was changed to Hood Memorial in 1886 after the death of its greatly esteemed minister. A church on Montrose Street was formed in 1844 by members of the North Albion Street, Elgin Place, congregation who were sympathetic to the Evangelical Union. They formally joined the Union in 1863. Another congregation formed in 1848 and eventually located on Dundas Street. This was an Evangelical Union congregation and from 1853 it was the nerve center of the Union. In 1850 a church was formed on Bath Street by members of the West George Street, Elgin Place congregation. It ceased to meet after 1873. A church on Great Hamilton Street originated in 1849. It was closed in 1917. A congregation was formed in 1849 on the south side of the City on Nelson Street by members of the Montrose Street church and others. This church formally joined the Evangelical Union in 1855. This church ceased in 1938.

Source: A History of Scottish Congregationalism, by harry Escott, pub. 1960. FHiL book 941 K2es. This book includes a list of ministers.


Elgin Place Congregational Church, Roll of Members, 1835–1962

Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH14/2.

The extent of records of other congregations is unknown. For information, write to:

The United Reformed Church, Scottish Synod Office PO Box 189 240 Cathedral Street Glasgow G1 2BX Scotland

Glasgow Baptist Churches

John Street


The First Baptist congregation in Glasgow was formed in 1770 and met on High Street. In 1776, the congregation suffered from a bitter controversy over the subject of the Godhead, but the issue was resolved with the loss of only three members. About 1802 a handsome new church was built on George Street. In 1810 there was another division over the question of attending to the Lord’s Supper in the absence of an appointed elder. The result was that about 160 members formed themselves into a separate body and met in Morrison’s Court for about ten years, when they rented a hall on North Portland Street. The two congregations were reconciled in 1834 and were reunited in 1841. The George Street chapel was sold and the reunited congregation met in Portland Street Hall. When they were joined by members of the Albion Street congregation in 1841, total membership stood at 287. The Portland Street accommodations grew too small and the congregation took possession of new premises on John Street in 1845.

Other Baptist congregations:

An English Baptist church was formed in Glasgow in 1801 but it ceased about 1806. The English form dictated that a pastor should be dedicated solely to his congregation and preaching duties and should be supported entirely by his congregation. Another English Baptist church was formed about 1820. They met in various places including from 1835 in George’s Place and later on South Portland Street. This was never a strong congregation and it ceased about 1876, shortly after the death of its first minister. Another congregation formed about 1823 and met on Albion Street. They were a Scotch Baptist church and merged with the North Portland Street church in 1841. Another English Baptist church was formed in 1829 and met first on Inkle Factory Lane, North Albion Street. A chapel was built on Hope Street in 1835, and 41 years later a new chapel was built in Adelaide Place.

A Scotch Baptist church formed in 1834 and built a chapel on Brown Street, Anderston.

Another of the Scotch order formed in 1844 and met on Hill Street, Garnethill and an English Baptist church was formed in 1845 by 15 members of the Hope Street church. They met on Blackfriars Street until 1877 when they moved to a new chapel on John Knox Street. In 1851 sixty–two members of the Blackfriars Street church withdrew and formed a new church first meeting in the Trades Hall, Glassford Street. A church was built in 1859 on North Frederick Street, and membership was 243. A Sabbath School was also formed and by 1859 there were 114 scholars. This congregation moved to a new chapel in Dennistoun in 1909. By the 1860s there were three Scotch Baptist and four English Baptist churches in Glasgow.

Source: History of the Baptists in Scotland, by Rev. George Yuille, pub. 1926. FHL book 941 K2hi.


The extent of records is unknown. For information write to:

Baptist Union of Scotland 12 Aytoun Road Glasgow G41 5RT Scotland

Scottish Episcopalian Churches

Mitchell Library.jpg
St. Andrew-By-The-Green


This church was built in 1750 and finally consecrated in 1808. It was saved from the penal laws by the fact that its congregation was mostly English.

Records—                                     FHL Film Number

Minute Book 1750–1927                   0559191

Christenings 1754–1854
Marriages 1758–1854
Burials 1798–1854
Note: Copies available at the Mitchell Library, Glasgow.

St. John The Evangelist Anderston


This church was built in 1850 at Cranstonhill.


The extent of records is unknown. For information write to the minister at:

Glasgow East End Scottish Episcopal Church 21 Swinton Road Baillieston Glasgow G69 6DS Scotland


St. Mary The Virgin


This church was built in the early 1800s and became the Cathedral church of Glasgow Diocese in 1869.


The extent of records is unknown. For information write to the minister at:

St. Mary’s Cathedral 45 Rowallan Gardens Glasgow G11 7LH Scotland; E–mail:

Roman Catholic Churches

St. Andrew’s


This parish had a resident priest from 1792. The church was built on Great Clyde Street in 1816. By 1822 there were an estimated 15,000 Catholics in Glasgow. St. Andrew’s became the cathedral church when the Diocese of Glasgow was created in 1878.


Baptisms 1795–1856
Marriages 1795–1869
Deaths 1807–1818
Confirmations 1810–1812, 1851–1853
Easter Communicants 1826–1827, 1831–1837
Sick Calls 1827–1832

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/62.

St. Aloysius


This church was built in Springburn in 1856 and was known as the Springburn Catholic Church until 1873.


Baptisms 1854–1875
Marriages 1854–1910

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/72.

St. Alphonsus


This church was built on Great Hamilton Street in 1846.


Baptisms 1847–1856
Marriages 1847–1884

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/64.

Immaculate Conception




Baptisms 1849–1921

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/69.

St. John’s


This church was built on Portugal Street in 1846. It closed in 1982.


Baptisms 1846–1861
Marriages 1846–1885

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/92. The original records, plus confirmations from 1856, are in the hands of the parish priest of St. Luke’s church, Ballater Street, Glasgow. There are no death or burial records.

St. Joseph’s


This church was built on North Woodside Road in Cowcaddens in 1850. It closed in 1984.


Baptisms 1850–1877
Marriages 1851–1920

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/65.

St. Mary’s


This church was built on Abercromby Street in 1842. There was a churchyard at Calton.


Baptisms 1842–1857

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/66.

St. Mary the Immaculate




Baptisms 1849–1927

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/70.

St. Mungo’s


This church was built on Parson Street in Townhead in 1850.


Baptisms 1851–1866
Marriages 1851–1878

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/67.

St. Patrick’s


This church was built on Hill Street in Anderston in 1850.


Baptisms 1850–1869
Marriages 1850–1886

Note: Available online for a fee, at, record MP/68.

St. Peter’s


This church was built on Partick Hill in 1855 and was known as the Partick Catholic Church until 1877.

Source: Catholic Missions and Registers, 1700–1880, by Michael Gandy, pub. 1993. FHL Ref. Book 942 K24gm


Baptisms, marriages, and confirmations from 1855 are in the hands of the parish priest. There are no deaths or burials.

Methodist Churches


The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel was erected in Glasgow in 1787. A circuit was established in 1765, but the cause was never strong in Scotland. Four new chapels were built in Glasgow between 1813 and 1819, but by 1841, only the original chapel on John Street still was open for Methodist worship. The Great Hamilton Street chapel existed 1816–1821 and the Anderston chapel 1819–1826. The Bridge Street chapel in Tradeston existed 1813–1839. A Primitive Methodist circuit existed in the Glasgow area from about 1827. A Methodist New Connexion society existed in Glasgow from about 1810. By 181? membership had risen to 97 and a chapel was built in East Clyde Street. In 1827 membership was 123, but thereafter rapidly dwindled. There were three Independent Methodist chapels in Glasgow, Charlotte Street 1832–1896, Suffolk Street 1840–1850, and Low Green Street 1854–1896. The Methodist Union took place in 1932.

Source: Sources for Scottish Genealogy and Family History, by D. J. Steel, pub. 1970. FHL book 942 D27ste, vol. 12.


List of Members 1806–1825, Circuit Account Book 1785–1887

Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH11/23.

Society of Friends-Quakers


Quakerism was established in Glasgow in the latter half of the 17th century. During the 18th century the cause suffered due to lack of leadership. Membership in Glasgow was so low that no records were kept for 50 years and their meeting house was sold in 1791. By 1851 they had purchased a new meeting house but membership was only about 50. A burial ground in Shawtonhill near Glassford was used by Glasgow Quakers until in 1711 when they started their own at Partick. Interments there were discontinued in 1857. No gravestones exist.

Source: Sources for Scottish Genealogy and Family History, by D. J. Steel, pub. 1970. FHL book 942 D27ste, vol. 12.

Records—                                                                           FHL Call Number

Registers of Births, Marriages, Proposals of Marriage and         Book 941 V26q
Deaths1647–1878 (Glasgow and other places in Scotland)        Film 0823635
Duplicate of Early Years, 1647–1728                                       Film 0441406 item 3
A List of Interments at Partick, in the Scottish Gealogist,        Book 941 B2g, vol. 4, April 1967 No. 2


Preparative Meeting Minutes 1801–1903; Digest of Births, Marriages, and Burials for Scottish Congregations, including Glasgow, 1669–1867; Glasgow Monthly Meeting Minutes 1728–1733; Hamilton Men’s Meeting Minutes 1695–1739; Accounts 1743–1748

Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, record CH10/17, 26, 64, 66.

Glasgow Area Branches, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter–Day Saints


A branch was organized in the industrial center of Glasgow in 1840. By 1855, there was a conference in Glasgow with 20 branches and a total membership of 1442 (compared to a population of over 345,000). The branches included Tollcross in Barony. Membership throughout Scotland dropped in the latter 1850s, due in part to excommunications. Also, between 1852 and 1856, more that 1000 Scottish converts emmigrated to America. Membership continued to decline through the remainder of the 19th century and did not begin to climb again until the mid–20th.

Records—                                                     FHL Film Number

Record of Members 1847–1947                        0104152 item 1
District Records, 1840–1887                            0104152 item 2
Tollcross Record of Members 1847–1861          0104156 item 2

Other Nonconformist Church Records

Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Scotland for 1846 also shows that there was at least one congregation of the following types of nonconformist churches in the Glasgow area:


The Glasgow congregation was founded in the 1790’s. A burial ground in was established in Old Calton. The congregation still existed in 1843, but the denomination died out by 1855.


At the beginning of the 19th century there were barely ten Jewish families in Glasgow. After worshiping in several locations, a synagogue was consecrated at the corner of George Street and John Street in 1858. There were then 26 Jewish families in Glasgow. The first Jewish burial ground was established in a corner of the Necropolis in 1830.

Swedenborgians, The New Jerusalemites

A society was formed in Glasgow in 1813. A church was built in 1848 and a new one in 1907.


A congregation was established in Glasgow about 1800 and still exists today. When Unitarianism became legal in 1813, the Scottish Unitarian Christian Association was formed, and from 1830 onwards it was largely dominated by the minster of the Glasgow congregation, who in 1841 transferred to Edinburgh.


The existence and extent of records for the above churches is unknown.