Glandford St Martin, Norfolk Genealogy
Glandford St Martin is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery in the Diocese of Norwich. In 1922: Wiveton with Glandford, Norfolk. By 2001: Letheringsett with Glandford, Norfolk.
Other places in the parish include: Bayfield, Glandford, and Glandford with Bayfield.
Today the Civil Parish of Letheringsett with Glandford covers all of what was the Parish of Bayfield on the 1851 England Jurisdiction map. Both the Glanford Parish Church (St. Martins) and a Bayfield Parish Church (St. Margarets) are found on Bayfield Hall and its Estate. Both churches were ancient parishes, and both ended up in a ruins condition. However, in about 1882 Sir Alfred Jodrell, Baronet, inherited the estate and set about rebuilding the Glandford Parish (and also contributing to some other parishes) but he did not rebuild the ruins of the Bayfield St Margarets church, which, even today, remains in ruins.
Map that illustates this.
It appears that the Glandford church was functioning until about 1730 when it is reported as in ruins. The Archdeacon Transcripts 1600-1812 for Glandford never mention Bayfield from the years 1600-1731, but rather always label themselves “Grandford”. Then in 1732 the Archdeacons Transcripts label the bill as “Glandford Cum Bayfield Holt Hundred.” This is consistent with the report that by 1730 the church was in ruins. Glandford become a chapelry of Blakeny in 1743, and this is consistent, with the marriage registers (housed at NRO) for which the catalog entry normally says “Bayfield with Glandford”, but now says “with Blakeney”. The Glandford Archdeacon Transcripts continued until 1812, but the number of entries dwindled until there were only 2-3 entries per year; with entries in 1779 and 1781 listing children baptized in the “Blackney” church.
1086 Called Glanforda in Domesday Survey.
1254 Called Snitesle launford in Valuation of Norwich. Chapelry of Blakeney.
1358 Archdeacon of Norwich's Visitation Return of 1368 referes to Glanford as a chapelry of Blakeney.
1600 Starting in 1600, Archdeacons and Bishops Transcripts (chr, marr, bur) survive. See NRO or https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1824688.
1655 Starting in 1655, chr and bur registers survive. Refered to as Glandford with Bayfield. Available at NRO.
1657 Starting in 1657, marr survive. Available at NRO (Glandford with Bayfield) to 1745.
1710 Church in the village of Glandford in decent repair.
1730 Church in the village of Glandford reported as in ruins.
1732 For the first time, the Glandford Archdeacon Transcripts cites itself as "Glandford with Bayfield". Prior to this each transcript bill was labeled "Glandford".
1743 Glandford a chapelry of Blakeney.
1745 Marr registers at NRO now say "with Blakeney"
1840 Church at Glandford partially rebuilt.
1875 Glandford St Martins Church partially rebuilt.
1882 "Bayfield Hall and its Estate, which encompasses much of the land in and around the village of Glandford, was inherited in 1882 by the late Sir Alfred Jodrell, Baronet. Sir Alfred was a gentleman of great generosity who set about almost entirely rebuilding the village"--with the exception of one original farmhouse and a few cottages. It is also curious that Jodrell restored Glandford and contributed to Saxlingham and Salle parishes, he didn't restore St. Margarets Church which was also on his Bayfield estate.
1922 Glanford now part of Wiveton.
By 2001 part of Letheringsett with Glandford CP
As of 4 April 2013 this parish does not appear in FamilySearches' record collection index (search feature). The FHL has one microfilm of Glandford Parish records (see below) and that has been converted to digital format, but not yet indexed. Be aware, that even when it is indexed, the time covered is limited. See the Norfolk Record Office (NRO) link to locate materials covering extended dates.
"England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812." Images. FamilySearch. There many missing years in this collection. Missing years include: 1605-1606, 1609-1622, 1624-1635, 1637-1665, 1669-1671, 1676-1677, 1681, 1684-1685, 1689-1691, 1693-1695, 1698-1705, 1707-1709, 1711-1712, 1715-1720, 1722-1730, etc.
| Baptisms 1601-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1812 Marriages 1607, 1668-1736 Burials 1601-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1809
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526777 Item 9
post 1837 registration events may be searched online at Free BMD
- Erpingham 1837-1935
- Glandford with Letheringsett 1935-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Poor Law Unions
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/glandford-st-martin/ for information about the parish
http://www.northnorfolkcentral.co.uk/GlavenValley/Glandford/glandford.html parish website Glaven Valley Benefice website
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50981 British History online
- GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glandford in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.fckLRURL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3112fckLRDate accessed: 04th April 2013
- "St Martin's Church: About the Village of Glandford" The Shell Museum. http://www.shellmuseum.org.uk/church.htm
- “St Margaret, Bayfield” The Norfolk Churches Site http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/bayfield/bayfield.htm Site has photos.