Glandford St Martin, Norfolk Genealogy
Glandford St Martin is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery in the Diocese of Norwich. See also Wiveton with Glandford, Norfolk
Other places in the parish include: Bayfield, Glandford, and Glandford with Bayfield.
The entire village of Glandford is part of the Bayfield estate, so when you see Bayfield on http://maps.familysearch.org/ you can think of them as synomyns, although technically the church and village are a smaller part of the Bayfield estate. It is also of note that in addition to the restored Glandford St Martin church, there is the ruins of the St Margaret Bayfield church within the Bayfield estate.
1086 Called Glanforda in Domesday Survey.
1254 Called Snitesle launford in Valuation of Norwich. Chapelry of Blakeney.
1358 Archdeacon of Norwich's Visitation Return of 1368 referes to Glanford as a chapelry of Blakeney.
1600 Starting in 1600, Archdeacons and Bishops Transcripts (chr, marr, bur) survive. See NRO or https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1824688.
1655 Starting in 1655, chr and bur registers survive. Refered to as Glandford with Bayfield. Available at NRO.
1657 Starting in 1657, marr survive. Available at NRO (Glandford with Bayfield) to 1745.
1710 Church in the village of Glandford in decent repair.
1730 Church in the village of Glandford reported as in ruins.
1743 Glandford a chapelry of Blakeney.
1745 Marr registers at NRO now say "with Blakeney"
1840 Church at Glandford partially rebuilt.
1875 Glandford St Martins Church partially rebuilt.
1882 "Bayfield Hall and its Estate, which encompasses much of the land in and around the village of Glandford, was inherited in 1882 by the late Sir Alfred Jodrell, Baronet. Sir Alfred was a gentleman of great generosity who set about almost entirely rebuilding the village"--with the exception of one original farmhouse and a few cottages. It is also curious that Jodrell restored Glandford and contributed to Saxlingham and Salle parishes, he didn't restore St. Margarets Church which was also on his Bayfield estate.
1922 Glanford now part of Wiveton.
As of 4 April 2013 this parish does not appear in FamilySearches' record collection index (search feature). The FHL has one microfilm of Glandford Parish records (see below) and that has been converted to digital format, but not yet indexed. Be aware, that even when it is indexed, the time covered is limited. See the Norfolk Record Office (NRO) link to locate materials covering extended dates.
"England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812." Images. FamilySearch.
| Baptisms 1601-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1812 Marriages 1607, 1668-1736 Burials 1601-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1809
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526777 Item 9
post 1837 registration events may be searched online at Free BMD
- Erpingham 1837-1935
- Glandford with Letheringsett 1935-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Poor Law Unions
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/glandford-st-martin/ for information about the parish
http://www.northnorfolkcentral.co.uk/GlavenValley/Glandford/glandford.html parish website Glaven Valley Benefice website
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50981 British History online
- GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glandford in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.fckLRURL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3112fckLRDate accessed: 04th April 2013
- "St Martin's Church: About the Village of Glandford" The Shell Museum. http://www.shellmuseum.org.uk/church.htm
- “St Margaret, Bayfield” The Norfolk Churches Site http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/bayfield/bayfield.htm Site has photos.