Difference between revisions of "Gilmer County, Georgia Genealogy"
(added vital record intro)
|Line 54:||Line 54:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Land ====
Revision as of 19:16, 13 May 2013
Guide to Gilmer County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gilmer County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 3, 1832|
|Address|| Gilmer County Courthouse|
1 Westside Square
Ellijay, GA 30540
Gilmer County Website
- 1 Gilmer County Georgia Courthouse
- 2 Gilmer County Georgia History
- 3 Gilmer County Georgia Places/Localities
- 4 Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 5 Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy Web Sites
- 7 Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy References
Gilmer County Georgia Courthouse
Probate Court has birth and death records from 1927,
marriage records from 1835 and probate records;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce records from 1909,
land records from 1833, military records from 1902
and court records from 1900
Gilmer County Georgia History
Gilmer County Georgia Places/Localities
Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills and Estates Book B 1836-1854 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book A 1853-1914 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to County Bonds (guardianships, administrators) 1836-1854 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book B Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1836-1875 - Gilmer County Marriage Index 1836-1875. Batch M712901 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1895 - Gilmer County Marriage Index 1877-1895. Batch M712902 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1879-80 - Gilmer County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Gilmer County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
Gilmer County Georgia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gilmer County, Georgia. Page 155 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.