Germany Births and Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|This locality is located in Germany.|
|Record Type||Births and Baptisms|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland Geburten und Taufen, 1558-1898|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?Edit
This index includes selected Germany births and baptisms for the years 1558 to 1898. It is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?Edit
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name of the child
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of christening
- Names of the parents
A coverage Table for this collection is available in the wiki article Germany Births and Baptisms, Coverage Table - FamilySearch Historical Records
How Do I Search This Collection?Edit
Search the IndexEditSearch by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?Edit
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?Edit
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?Edit
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?Edit
- Consult the Germany Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Germany.
Citing This CollectionEdit
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?Edit
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.