Georgia Church Records
The largest collection of Georgia church records can be found at the Georgia State Archives. The archives borrowed pre-1940 church records from many local congregations and preserved them on microfilm. The collection is continually growing but is not complete.
The Family History Library has some Georgia church records, including records for Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, and Presbyterian congregations. Most are from the Georgia State Archives. You may also want to use the library's histories of the Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, and others.
Many denominations have collected their records into central repositories. You can write to the following addresses to learn where their records are located.
Georgia Baptist Historical Collection
Eugene W. Stetson Memorial Library
Macon, Ga 31207
The Family History Library has microfilmed some research materials at Mercer University. For example, FHL 204489 includes ten histories of various Baptist associations. There are also histories and inventories such as the following:
- Inventory of the 'Church Archives of Georgia: Atlanta Association of Baptist Churches'''
- Campbell, Jesse H. Georgia Baptists: Historical and Biographical. Richmond: H.K. Ellyson, 1847. FHL Collection 206288 item 2; 1874 edition: FHL Collection book 975.8 K2c; film 1033617 item 3; digital version at Family History Archives.
- History of the Baptist Denomination in Georgia. Atlanta, Ga.: J.P. Harrison & Company, 1881. FHL Collection 896565
Church of England (Anglican, Protestant Episcopal)
If your ancestor was a minister in Colonial Georgia, see:
- Frederick Lewis Weis's The Colonial Clergy of Maryland, Delaware, and Georgia, is an alphabetical listing of the clergy in Delaware from 1638-1776, and includes names, dates, and places. A copy of the book is located in the FHL Collection. For a copy nearest you, check WorldCat.
United Methodist Museum
P.O. Box 24081
St. Simons Island, GA 31522
E-mail Address: email@example.com
- For a history of the Methodist Church, see Harold Lawrence, Methodist Preachers in Georgia 1783-1900 (Tignall, Georgia: Boyd Pub., 1984; FHL Collection 975.8 K2L
The Moravian Archives
41 West Locust Street
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18018
United States of America
Phone: (610) 866-3255
Fax: (610) 866-9210
For information concerning missions to the American Indians visit Moravian Missions Among American Indians. For a map and list of missions visit Early Moravian Missions in Eastern Pennsylvania and Surrounding Areas 1740-1773.
Office of Archives and Records
Archdiocese of Atlanta
680 W. Peachtree Street, N.W.
Atlanta, GA 30308-1984
Phone: (404) 978-2772
Fax: (404) 885-7462
The Archdiocese includes the counties of: Baldwin, Banks, Barrow, Bartow, Butts, Carroll, Catoosa, Chattooga, Cherokee, Clarke, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, Dade, Dawson, DeKalb, Douglas, Elbert, Fannin, Fayette, Floyd, Forsyth, Franklin, Fulton, Gilmer, Gordon, Greene, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hall, Hancock, Haralson, Hart, Heard, Henry, Jackson, Jasper, Lamar, Lincoln, Lumpkin, Madison, McDuffie, Meriwether, Monroe, Morgan, Murray, Newton, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Paulding, Pickens, Pike, Polk, Putnam, Rabun, Rockdale, Spalding, Stephens, Taliaferro, Towns, Troup, Union, Upson, Walker, Walton, Warren, White, Whitfield and Wilkes
Archivist, Catholic Diocese of Savannah
601 East Liberty St.
Savannah, GA 31401
Phone: (912) 201-4070
The diocese includes the counties of: Appling, Atkinson, Bacon, Baker, Ben Hill, Berrien, Bibb, Bleckley, Brantley, Brooks, Bulloch, Burke, Bryan, Calhoun, Camden, Candler, Charlton, Chatham, Chattahoochee, Clay, Clinch, Coffee, Colquitt, Columbia, Cook, Crawford, Crisp, Decatur, Dodge, Dooly, Dougherty, Early, Echols, Effingham, Emanuel, Evans, Glascock, Glynn, Grady, Harris, Houston, Irwin, Jeff Davis, Jefferson, Jones, Lanier, Lee, Liberty, Long, Lowndes, Macon, McIntosh, Miller, Mitchell, Montgomery, Muscogee, Peach, Pierce, Pulaski, Quitman, Randolph, Richmond, Screven, Seminole, Stewart, Sumter, Talbot, Tattnall, Taylor, Telfair, Thomas, Tift, Toombs, Treutlen, Turner, Twiggs, Ware, Wayne, Webster, Wheeler, Wilcox and Worth