Geauga County, Ohio Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:45, 10 August 2012 by Dianekay (info box info)
|Geauga County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Created||December 31, 1805|
|Address|| Geauga County Courthouse|
Chardon, Ohio 44024
Geauga County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Trumbull County 31 December 1805.
- County Seat: Chardon
- Neighboring Counties: Geauga County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Lake (north) · Portage (south) · Ashtabula and Trumbull (east) · Cuyahoga (west)
See an interactive map of Geauga County boundary changes.
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Geauga County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Geauga County.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Harriet Taylor Upton, History of the Western Reserve, Volume 1 (Chicago: The Lewis publishing company, 1910), 59.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mahoning County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahoning_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).