Ganarew, Herefordshire Genealogy
GANEREW (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Monmouth, Lower division of the hundred of Wormelow, county of Hereford, 2½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Monmouth. This parish, which is situated in the most southern part of the county, and bounded on the south-east by the river Wye, comprises by computation 802 acres. 
Ganarew St Swithin is an Ancient parish and part of the parish boundary forms the national boundary with Wales.
The church dates from about 1850 built by J Pritchard of Llandaff and has been designated a grade II listed building by English Heritage British Listed Building.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Ganarew
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Herefordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 275-279