Gallica: The French “Library of Congress”
• This Web site is the equivalent to the U.S. Library of Congress Web site.
• Use this Web site if you are looking for French history books and hard to find documents. Other European countries are also available.
Content: in French
Access to a growing number of free online digitized and fully downloadable books on a variety of subjects, including historical documents and newspapers.
Using the site:
3 main buttons to use:
- Découverte: allows you to browse through the collection by choosing a timeframe or by clicking on the additional buttons
- Thèmes: Choose a timeframe or start a search
- Chronologies: Scroll through a timeline
- Iconographie, monnaies: listing by collection
- Dictionnaires: variety of dictionaries
- Mode texte: complete alphabetical listing
- Do a search by:
- Mots du titre: Title search
- Auteur: Author
- Sujet: Subject (alphabetical browse still an option)
- Recherche libre: free search
- Reports arranged in categories.
- Once you have selected a particular book, the original will appear on the right side and a table of content on the left. You can select a particular page or at the top, select “Télécharger” to download in pdf format. You will have to wait until a link is created enabling you to download the file. (Similar to HeritageQuestOnline.com downloads).
The Dossier “L’Amérique en France” (France in America) is a joint venture with the Library of Congress and is available in English.