Fulton County, Ohio Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Fulton County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
See an interactive map of Fulton County boundary changes.
A courthouse fire in July 1864 destroyed many of the county records. Those saved were located in the Court of Common Pleas such as Chancery, Plaintiff and Defendant indexes, plus the court cases. Probate Court records such as the wills, estates, and guardianship's were lost. The Recorder's Office lost the land records, but those have been reconstructed using Barber's Abstracts.
- Archibold Cemetery, Archibold BillionGraves
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Fulton County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Fulton County.
- - 100th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies E and H
- - 111th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Comapanies C and F
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- Ohio Deaths, 1954-Present Death certificates from 1954 to the present are held by the Ohio Department of Health. These records can be ordered in person or by mail.
- Walk In Address: Ohio Department of Health
225 Neilston Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
- Mail your request to:
Ohio Department of Health
P.O. Box 15098
Columbus, Ohio 43215-0098
Additionally, Ohio death records can be obtained from the city or county health department where the death occurred. Some cities and counties can issue all death certificates from the State of Ohio if that city or county has been granted statewide issuance access.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).