Frome Christ Church, Somerset Genealogy
FROME, or Frome-Selwood Christ Church was built as a chapelry in the ancient or mother parish, St. John the Baptist, and lying in the market-town, parish, and borough, east division of Somerset, 25 miles (N. E.) from Ilchester, and 105 (W. by S.) from London. Christ-Church, was erected in 1818 by subscription. Two other chapelries, built in this place--one called Holy Trinity, built in 1838 and one in 1863, called St Mary's at Innox Hill as chapels of ease to St John's ancient parish.
There were places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Presbyterians. The poor law union of Frome comprises 29 parishes or places.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 269-272. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 December 2012.