Flintshire, Wales Genealogy
The county was formed in 1284 under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan and included the cantrefi (hundreds) of Tegeingl and the Maelor Saesneg formerly parts of the Welsh kingdoms of Gwynedd and Powys Fadog. It included the Lordships of Mold, Hawarden, Mostyn and Hope.
The county town is Mold.
Chapman Code: FLN
- The North Wales BMD. A searchable index of births marriages and deaths within the county of Flintshire from 1837 to around 1950.
- Wrexham Open Church Network Graveyard Search. Currently available for Bangor is y Coed (St. Dunawd's Church), Bettisfield (St. John the Baptist`s Church), Hanmer (St Chad's Church) and Tallarn Green (St Mary Magdalene's Church).
- Parish: an area of varying size under the responsibility of a clergyman of the Church of England/Church in Wales
- Hundred: an administrative subdivision of a county, usually a group of two or more parishes
- Sub-district: comprised of more than one civil parish
- Registration District
- Poor Law Union
Did You Know?
John Parry (10 February, 1789 – 13 January, 1868) was the first musical conductor of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Parry was born in Newmarket (now known as Trelawnyd) in Flintshire. In 1849, Parry and about 100 Welsh Mormons sailed from Liverpool to the USA. Parry died in Salt Lake City in 1868 and is buried there.