Flathead Indian Agency (Montana)
The Flathead Agency was established in 1854. The first tribes under its jurisdiction were the Flathead, Upper Pend d'Oreille, and Kutenai Indians. The Lower Kalispel moved to the Flathead Reservation in 1887 and the Spokan Indians did so in 1894.
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, Colorado. Records in that collection which may be of assistance to the genealogist include:
- Census rolls, 1913-1940
- School censuses, 1912-1943
- Day and boarding schools attendance reports, 1899-1917
Many more records of lesser genealogical value are also in this collection.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Flathead Agency, 1881-1900, are on roll 11 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1617684).
Microfilm copies of “Narrative and Statistical Reports” for the Flathead Agency, 1905-1937, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 42-43, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their microfilm numbers 1724260-1724261.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1889-1893, 1895-1897, 1900-1907, and from 1909 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 107 thru 116. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 575799-575800 and 576464-576471). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services.