Flandreau Indian Vocational High School (South Dakota)
The Flandreau Indian School was opened in 1892 as a nonreservation boarding school. It is located at Flandreau, South Dakota. It served primarily Santee, Sisseton, and Wahpeton Sioux Indian students. From 1901 to 1906, the school was known as Riggs Institute.
In 1902, the school superintendent was assigned agent duties for the Flandreau Agency.
Many records for the Flandreau School are in the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Kansas City, inlcuding"
- Attendance and enrollment records, 1894-1934
- Roster of parents and guardians, 1909-1910
- Employee records, 1913-1942
- Applications for enrollments in nonreservation Indian schools, 1916-1939
- Student case files, 1924-1957
- Permanent record cards, 1930-1950
- and other administrative records
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Flandreau School, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 41-42, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724259-60).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.