Finsbury St Luke Old St
Finsbury St Luke Old Street, the [parish] of (1733), is situated on the north side and near the centre of Old Street, and owes its rise to the great increase of buildings in the parish of St Giles, Cripplegate. In consequence of which, the commissioners for erecting the fity new churches in the reign of Queen Anne, purchased the piece of ground upon which it stands, and erected one of those churches. The inhabitants afterwards applied to parliament and had the Middlesex liberty of St Giles, Cripplegate assigned to them for their parish.
[St Luke's] was finished in 1732, and was consecrated in the following year, on St Luke's day, when the name of that apostle was given as its patron [saint]. The church is very substantially built of Portland Stone and has an obelisk by way of a spire.
The advowson of this church is a rectory in the county and archdeaconry of Middlesex, in the diocese of London, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's [Cathedral]... This parish has also recently erected a new church or chapel of ease, in King's Square [called St Barnabas, in 1826], Goswell Street Road, from the designs of Philip Hardwick, Esq., which is a curacy in the patronage of the rector, and the commissioners for new churches are building another church in the parish which is neither finished nor instituted [called St ames].
Finsbury St Luke has an excellent 19th century historical perspective written by the famed topographer, Samuel A. Lewis, here.
one of the newly-enfranchised metropolitan boroughs, comprising parts of the Finsbury and Holborn divisions of the hundred of Ossulstone, County of Middlesex, with some places of exempt jurisdiction; the whole containing 265,043 inhabitants.—See also Islington and Clerkenwell.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- 1. James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect. In “A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions,” (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitized: Google Books
- 2. Samuel Lewis, ed. A Topographical Dictionary of England 235-238. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 21 April 2010).