Find ancestors through Vital Records
Search for State Vital Records
Searching vital records such as birth, marriage, death can be found in most states records. States hold many different records, some states have placed their records online for all to see.
Utah State Vital Records Search state records of Births & Death
- State Records of Births and Deaths
- Look at Death Certificates from 1904 - 1956
- Link to Family History Library
- Search FamilySearch Historical Records
- This will result in finding a Death Certifcate
Guide to Vital Records
- You can learn more about the history and availability of Utah vital records through the Internet at Bureau of Vital Records and Utah State Archives Internet sites.
- The following book also provides information. The Utah State Board of Health sponsored the survey in 1941.
- Guide to Public Vital Statistics of Utah. Salt Lake City, Utah: Historical Records Survey, 1941.The book has four sections: birth, death, marriage, and divorce.
- United States Vital records State department of Health or County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
We can help you in your search
- Prepare as much information on your ancestor you can find. Names, birthdate, marriage date, death date, places of where these events occurred).
- Decide what you want to learn about your ancestor.
- Go to the State you think holds the records of your ancestors.
- As you evaluate the information you found ask yourself, are there any clues that might help you find other information.
- Be sure to preserve what you have found, keep good records.
- Territorial vital records are on a compact disc for the 1800s to 1906. This index contains birth, marriage, guardianship, naturalization, divorce records and wills.
- The Utah State Archives now has digital copies of death records online for the years 1905 thru 1958. You can search the index and access the digital images at:
Repositories Family History Library · Utah State Archives · Utah State Historical Society · Church History Library · Brigham Young University · Salt Lake City Public Library · University of Utah · National Archives Rocky Mountain Region (Denver) · Allen County Public Library.
- If you are unable to locate vital records recorded by goverments, search for church records of christings, marriage, death and burial.
- Family Bibles may have been used to record births, marriage, and deaths
- Privacy laws may restrict your access to some vital records.
Archives, Library and Societies