Fayette County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Fayette County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||May 1, 1780|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Fayette County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
County CourthouseFayette County Courthouse
162 E Main Street
Lexington, KY 40507-1363
County Clerk has marriage records from 1795, probate and land records from 1794.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records. 
1780--Fayette County was created on 1 May 1780 as a Virginia county when Kentucky County (Virginia) was abolished to form Fayette, Jefferson and Lincoln counties. See County Formations Database (Kentucky Land Office)
County seat: Lexington 
See an interactive map of Fayette County boundary changes.
1897--Fayette County Courthouse destroyed by fire on May 14, 1897. Records were either carried out of the burning building or stored in a fireproof safe. 
Places / Localities
|Ashland Park||Deep Springs||Indian Hills||Open Gates|
|Blueberry Hill||Eastland Park||Lansdowne||Sandersville|
|Brighton||Fenwick||Liberty Heights||South Elkhorn|
|Brookhaven||Fort Spring||Little Georgetown||Southland|
|Cardinal Valley||Garden Springs||Mattoxtown||Twin Oaks|
|Chilesburg||Hermitage Hills||Monticello||Walnut Hill|
|Colony||Holiday Hills||Mount Vernon||Westmoreland|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research.
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
CemeteriesKentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Available online: The Old Union Church Cemetery inscriptions and images for Fayette County.
- Fayette Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Fayette County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Fayette County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- ePodunk list of Fayette County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Calvary Cemetery, Lexington
- Cove Haven Cemetery, Lexington
- Eastern State Hospital (burial site), Lexington
- Highland Cemetery, Lexington
- Hillcrest Memorial Park, Lexington
- Lexington Cemetery, Lexington
For tips on accessing Fayette County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Available online: The Old Union Church Cemetery inscriptions and images for Fayette County.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Allen] Bauman, William A. Harry Raymond and Ethel May (McHatton) Allen of Fayette County, Kentucky and a Genealogy of Their Ancestors Including the Allen, Boone, Bryan, Craig, Embry, Gayheart, Goodwin, Graves, Grimes, Hager, Massie, McHatton, McNamara, Murphy, Reynolds, and Stinnett Families. Winter Park, Fla.: W.A. Bauman, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 AL53bw
- [Arnold] McNamara, Elizabeth W. Weakley, Scearce, Arnold Families of Kentucky, Their Descendants and Ancestral Families. Baltimore, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 W371m.
- [Ball] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Berry] Garrett, Pamela Hutchison. Ancestors and Descendants of Doctor Reuben Bell Berry, Fayette County, Kentucky. Oklahoma City, Okla.: P.H. Garrett, 2003. FHL Book 929.273 B459g.
- [Bird] Wylie, William Bird. Bird Genealogy. St. Louis, Mo.: W.B. Wylie, 1903. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Book 929.273 B532w.
- [Bryan] Cooper, J.R. Bryan County [Family] of Fayette County, Kentucky. Typed transcript of a series of ten articles published in the Lexington Herald, Lexington, Kentucky, beginning Sunday, February 27, 1927, Allen County Public Library, Ft. Wayne, Ind. Microfilmed 1971: FHL Film 873506 Item 3 another version, found at the National Library, D.A.R., Washington, D.C. Microfilmed 1971: FHL Film 872856 Item 1
- [Cary] Harrison, Fairfax. The Virginia Carys. New York: De Vinne Press, 1919. Digital version at Internet Archive - free; FHL Film 1011836 Item 3.
- [Craven] Craven, Patricia. The Craven Clan of Southwestern Pennsylvania and Various Kentucky Counties Nelson, Washington, Marion, Boone, Fayette, Jessamine, Henry. Chicago, Ill.: P. Craven, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 C855cr
- [Frye] Wylie, William Bird. Bird Genealogy. St. Louis, Mo.: W.B. Wylie, 1903. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Book 929.273 B532w.
- [Henderson] Nichols, Elizabeth L. and Melanie Marie Springer. White, James (1754-1817) and His Wife Jeney/Jane McHatton (1768-1850) and Their Family with Emphasis on Their Second Daughter, Margaret (Peggy) White (1786-1860), Who Married 17 Mar 1807 in Fayette County, KY to James Henderson (1786-1862), Who are Ancestors to the Compilers; and Their Eldest Son, John McHatton White (1793-1866), Who Married 3 Sept 1816 in Greene County, OH to Tabitha McFarland (1797-1874), Daughter of Joseph McFarland and Margaret White. Salt Lake City, Utah: E.L. Nichols, 2005. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 929.273 W584n.
- [Johnson] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [McDonald] McDonald Family, Fayette County, Kentucky. Typescript. Microfilm: FHL Film 165997
- [McHatton] Bauman, William A. Harry Raymond and Ethel May (McHatton) Allen of Fayette County, Kentucky and a Genealogy of Their Ancestors Including the Allen, Boone, Bryan, Craig, Embry, Gayheart, Goodwin, Graves, Grimes, Hager, Massie, McHatton, McNamara, Murphy, Reynolds, and Stinnett Families. Winter Park, Fla.: W.A. Bauman, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 AL53bw
- [McKee] Hoffman, David R. Samuel McKee and His Family Notes on the Life of Samuel McKee Who Died in Fayette County, Kentucky, in 1813, on His Children, and on the Descendants of His Sons William, David and Samuel McKee, Jr. and His Daughter Jane McKee Story. Harrisburg, Pa.: D.R. Hoffman, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 M194hd
- [McKinnie] The Descendants of Lewis McKinnie. Typescript, 1940s. FHL Film 1405248.
- [Mansell] [George Mansell] Court Records, Fayette County, Kentucky. FHL Film 165997
- [Owens] Sone, Guy M. Genealogy of Rogers, Peyton, Owens, Sone, Marrs, Jennings, Jouett and Allied Families. Jefferson City, Mo.: G.M. Sone, 1958. FHL Film 875358 Item 4
- [Sageser] Knouf, Osee Johnson and John Russell Sageser. Sageser Genealogy: Descendants of Jacob Sageser, Whose Will was Probated on August 6, 1821 in Fayette County, Kentucky. Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen, 1978. FHL Book 929.273 Sa18k
- [Shipp] Sanders, Walter R. The Shipp Genealogy from Essex, Caroline, Faquier Counties, Virginia, to Green, Taylor, Woodford, Jefferson, Fayette, Christian, Bourgon, Scott, Owen, Counties, Kentucky, and Johnson Counties, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Book 929.273 Sh64s; FHL Film 875372 Item 5
- [Stone] Calhoun, Logan E. John and Janetta Moore Stone of Fayette Co. Kentucky. Utica, Ky.: McDowell Publications, 1900, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 St71cLe
- [West] Andrews, Ella Smith Johns. The Family of Edward West and Sarah Browne. Sarasota, Fla.: E.S.J. Andrews, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 W52ae.
- [White] Nichols, Elizabeth L. and Melanie Marie Springer. White, James (1754-1817) and His Wife Jeney/Jane McHatton (1768-1850) and Their Family with Emphasis on Their Second Daughter, Margaret (Peggy) White (1786-1860), Who Married 17 Mar 1807 in Fayette County, KY to James Henderson (1786-1862), Who are Ancestors to the Compilers; and Their Eldest Son, John McHatton White (1793-1866), Who Married 3 Sept 1816 in Greene County, OH to Tabitha McFarland (1797-1874), Daughter of Joseph McFarland and Margaret White. Salt Lake City, Utah: E.L. Nichols, 2005. FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 929.273 W584n.
- The KY Land Office
- The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Fayette County land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1819-1824, 1881-1894 - Will Books E and F (1819-1824) and 6 and 7 (1881-1894) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1787 - Fothergill, Augusta B. and John Mark Naugle. Virginia Tax Payers, 1782-87, Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau. 1940; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1978. Available at FHL. [1787 personal property tax list of Fayette County.]
- 1787 - Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Fayette County is included in Vol. 1.]
- 1788 - Stewart, Robert Armistead. "Personal Tax List of Fayette County (Kentucky), 1788," The Researcher: A Magazine of History and Genealogical Exchange, Vol. 1, No. 4 (Jul. 1927):239-241. Available at FHL. [Only part of the list was published.]
- 1789 - Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. [Includes "5 volumes of 1789, with some duplication of names."]
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Fayette County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Fayette County KYGenWeb
- Fayette County USGenWeb Archives
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Fayette County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fayette County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Fayette County, Kentucky," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com Lexington, KY Courthouse Fire, May 1897 http://www3.gendisasters.com/kentucky/14365/lexington-ky-court-house-fire-may-1897
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).