Family History Library/Group Visit Options
The Family History Library looks forward to hosting your group. We hope that you will have a great learning experience. Read through the different experiences that we offer and how to register for a group visit.
Make a Reservation
- For the interactive iPad Discovery Experience at the Family History Library click here
- To reserve a classroom or schedule a class use the Online Registration Form.
Please schedule your group at least two weeks in advance of your planned visit. Classes and classrooms are subject to availability.
Fun, Engaging Classes for Families, Youth and Adults
Here are some of the options your family or group can choose to do while at the Library. Note: We do not offer tours of the Library.
- Discovery: Discover your story through fun, engaging, interactive iPad experiences. Discover, picture, and record your story; see yourself in the clothing of an ancestor; or take photos with various backdrops and more! Discovery Experience Video (FamilySearch Account & FamilySearch Family Tree Recommended)
- Search Historical Records Online: For the beginning FamilySearch user, learn how to search through historical records on Familysearch.org and other online databases to find your ancestors. (30-60 minutes)
- Build a FamilySearch Family Tree: For the beginning FamilySearch Family Tree user, learn how to build your FamilySearch Family Tree in a highly-interactive, fun presentation. (60 minutes) (FamilySearch Account Recommended)
- FamilySearch Indexing: Learn how to index using the FamilySearch Indexing software as an opportunity to give back to the community. (60 minutes) (FamilySearch Account Required)
- Finding a Descendant: For the more experienced FamilySearch user, learn how to use descendancy research to find your cousins. If this is your first time, we recommend you try our Search Historical Records Online presentation. (60 minutes) (FamilySearch Account & FamilySearch Family Tree Required)
- Boy Scout Genealogy merit badge workshop: The Family History Library offers a monthly Boy Scout Genealogy Merit Badge workshop, on the third Saturday of each month. Prior registration is required to attend. For more information see Genealogy merit badge workshop
Family History Research Classes
Free classes are taught both in the Library and online on how to do research in various geographical areas. Click Patron Class Schedule to see what classes are being offered during your visit.
Prepare for Your Visit
- Obtain a FamilySearch Account in advance at https://www.familysearch.org/register/1
- The more information in your tree, the better experience.
- Choose a specific ancestor you want to learn more about. Come with a specific name, place, and event date.
We look forward to your visit!