FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Tasks Church LDS Phase 1a
This is task Phase 1a for LDS Church Records in Utah
The purpose of this task is to make it easier for users to learn about the Utah wards or branches their ancestors attended. This Phase 1a focuses on the Utah stakes and the wards and branches within them.
This task is to copy and adapt the pattern (found on the Discussion page) to LDS stakes. Details of stake boundaries will be added (with links to adjoining stakes) and a list of wards and branches within the stake.
First focus is on early and important areas: Cache, Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, Washington, and Weber Counties. Once the stakes and wards are done for these areas, we will move to the rest of the state.
The history timeline will be completed for stake pages in this phase. First focus will be on stakes in St. George, Logan, Ogden, Provo, Orem, Salt Lake City, Bountiful.
- Note: The history timeline portion for Salt Lake City is in "discovery" mode. A few of us will work together to discover just how to present a LOT of historical detail in a way that will help rather than confuse.
|It is easiest to have several windows or tabs open: one for this task page, one for the county page, one for the stake page, and both sites for Encyclopedic History (BYU and AncestryInstitution.com).|
Examples of stake pages
Have practiced with stake boundaries, wards and branches, AND timeline on the following:
Step 1. Identify a stake to add
- Pick a county that is not "Done" from the county list.
- Click a red link to a stake on the LDS chart
- OR click on each place on the county chart until you find one with a "red link" stake.
- When all places have been checked and all stakes have blue links, please type "Done" after the county name below and go to another county.
Step 2. Copy the stake pattern
- Type the stake name in the county chart, with it's link, as in the following examples:
- *[[Bear River Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches|Bear River Stake, Utah]]
- *[[Curlew Stake, Idaho LDS Church Wards and Branches|Curlew Stake, Idaho]]
A) Click the Discussion tab
B) Click the "Edit This Page" button.
C) Select Wikitext
D) Highlight all (Ctrl+A) and copy (Ctrl+C)
E) Cancel edit
Step 2. Paste the pattern empty page
In another tab or window, click to the county page.
A) On the county page, go to the Churches and Religious Groups topic
B) Click a red (inactive) link to a stake
- It will tell you the page does not exist.
- If there are no inactive links to stakes, find one by clicking through the Places.
- If still no inactive links to stakes, come back to this task page and type "Done" next to the county name.
C) Edit in Wikitext and paste the pattern to that page
D) Fill in edit Summary box: "copied pattern" and Save page
Step 3. Adapt the Pattern
A) Breadcrumb trail:
- Change "Box Elder" to the current county in two places
- Fill in edit Summary, "Breadcrumb", Save page
B) Get correct pages from Jenson's Encyclopedic History. This now requires both the BYU and the AncestryInstitution.com websites. Ancestry is far easier to find and copy information. BYU gives page numbers. In a previous email, ideas were given for how to do this.
Before you get into edit mode,
- Click on the link, search by stake name, scroll down to see page numbers
- Hint: slide down to the alphabet for the place, and check the page(s) with hits to see which one is the beginning page. Then determine which is the ending page.
- Get into edit WikiText again, and change the page numbers (p 5-6) to the pages for this place
C) Under "Obtain the Records":
- Change "Box Elder" to current county
D) Below "References"
- In Category, replace "Box Elder" with current county
- Type in the edit Summary box: "adapted to stake" and Save page
All counties are ready. Please write "Done" after a completed county.
Not yet ready: Salt Lake
Counties ready: Beaver · Box Elder · Carbon · Daggett · Duchesne · Emery · Garfield · Grand · Iron · Juab · Kane · Millard · Morgan · Piute · Rich · San Juan · Sanpete · Sevier · Summit · Tooele · Uintah · Wasatch · Wayne