FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2013 February 6
From FamilySearch Wiki
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
The Wiki currently has 85,720 articles in English
- grid lines in tables: Table at top
News and Events
- Virtual Chapter, UGA, Thurs, Feb 21, 7 p.m.: Do It Backwards: Finding Descendants First by Alice Volkert
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
- Cemetery Records progress:
- Liz has been delayed by new callings at her FSC and prep of her project submission to BCG. She loves the Wiki, but she is doing what's best.
- LDS Church records Salt Lake County
- Dawne Hole's team completed the stakes (as of January 22) in Beaver, Cache, Carbon, Duschesne, Grand, Iron, Juab, Sevier, Wasatch, Washington, and Weber Counties. Joy and Bo Bogar, Jeff and Cathy Stevens, Elizabeth Kesler, and Claudia Heaston. KUDOS to them. Update: As of Feb 1, almost all counties are 100% complete -- except Salt Lake and Utah counties. Wilma has been experimenting, since Salt Lake City, Provo, and Orem are not the typical 3-4 wards and need to be handled differently.
- Please send them an email if you are happy with what they have done. I think it is awesome! HoleDL@FamilySearch.org or email@example.com and they will forward it to the rest of the team.
- Using an Excel file to find all Utah church units in the Catalog that have not been included in our Wiki files - good progress on Salt Lake County, need to start Utah County.
- David Dilts drew a map of the original 19 Wards of SLC and is in process of a clickable map for the Stakes in SLC.
- County boundary changes for Newberry's site added to every county under Parent counties and under history timeline
- Strategies How to Find Birth Information in the United States; United States, How to Find Genealogy Records James:
- Biggest findings: uneven content; many duplicate pages that basically say the same thing;
- Suggestion: get moderators involved to take on those tasks, so duplication subsides.
- County online collections badges: Decided last time to NOT do these due to maintenance. The county page itself should give that info.
- Project end: We will adapt some of the tasks for the Ohio project so people will have something constructive to do after we are not actively engaged. Wilma plans to be finished with her parts (see below) by March 31.
- Next meeting: Mar 6th
- Extinct counties need to be added to the Utah page, with links to pages for them
- To do: county blurb with links to Utah Maps page.
- Finish pattern for Salt Lake City, Provo, Orem church records
- Utah Record Selection Table
- Adapt this and make it UTAH, not LDS
- You may think you have no LDS ancestors, but since your ancestors lived among them, some may be in the LDS Church records.
- Would like to have both a Utah and an LDS record selection table. LDS one, link from Tracing LDS Ancestors.
- Wilma will focus soon on Library section, then Deaths, then Marriages.
- Beginner's corner? Probably nothing until early next year that the "state pages" team meets.
- Do the county newspaper pages: Wilma is learning how to extract the URL so we can make it go right to the correct area of Chronicling America - Wilma
- Genealogical Surveys also mentioned in a previous meeting: Do only for Ogden, Davis, Salt Lake? and others with large compilations. P 13 of printed version Utah Research Outline granite stake, Ogden Stake, 289.3?...
From previous meetings:
- Not a priority: Gallery of images: Joy and I talked about this. Need a process, so others can submit images of the various counties and we won't have to maintain it. (More discussion in Nov 21 meeting. Get with Joy about those suggestions.)
- FHLC links.
- To do: once Libraries section is ready, show the FHLC links to the person who has not liked them.
- Wording for other topics.