FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 Sep 5
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
News and Events
- September 20 Virtual presentation by Jason Harrison, City Directories: More than Names and Addresses. UGA Virtual Chapter meeting which occurs every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain).
- September 21 and 22 (Friday and Saturday) UGA Regional Conference Sandy
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 29 Aug
Progress reports 10 minutes
- Funeral home records questionnaire
- Lois asked Larkin funeral home about records and it sounded like they only have about what would be on a death certificate. (I think James told us that in one of the meetings)
- We have decided to check with a few more, but use the following strategy:
- learn the names of early funeral homes/directors from the online death certificates for a county;
- contact funeral homes of that area to see if they know where those records are AND how early the records exist for the funeral home contacted. In the process, what do they have for early records, such as programs, obituaries, names of participants, pall bearers, etc.
- Birth Task Description: Doing in two segments:
- Lois has agreed to do the birth sections before civil birth records were created. That task description is 99% complete.
- Liz will do the 1898-present segment. She has already checked all the microfilms (except Washington County) and has gathered all the info from the State Archives. As soon as Wilma finishes the templates (today we hope), Liz will have this done quickly. (She isn't called "Liz the whiz" for nothing.)
From previous meetings:
- Neighboring counties clickable maps: ongoing
- How to Find Birth Information in Utah: to discuss next week (really full agenda today)
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
- Get documentation of Delayed Birth Registration - dates started, etc. (Says 1941 on state page, but no citation.) - Pat
- Do the county newspaper pages - wilma
In the Thursday Wiki Contributors meeting, I volunteered us to experiment with making the Utah page more inviting, helpful to beginners. Nathan suggested we look at the England page for some ideas. Jana has agreed to:
- Lead our brainstorming discussions on this.
- Scour the wiki and other sites for more ideas
- Create a page for us to review/improve.
This is really something that CAN make a big difference to the Wiki overall. The Thursday group will want to be part of the discussion and brainstorming. They do not expect anything this Thursday, but we will want to keep them involved in the conversation.
Church Records Brainstorm what should be on the "pattern" for each congregation (for any religion, but based on LDS)
Summary of minutes:
Ideas we won't forget
- Tip Bank