FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 October 31
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 2249, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name).
- Problem with the CSS - grid lines in tables still don't show. Please give feedback to get this back to the attention of the engineers.
News and Events
- November 15, 2012 The Basics of DNA Testing for Genealogy with Diahan Southard, Molecular Genealogist. UGA virtual meeting, 3rd Thursday each month.
- January 14-18, 2013 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG).
- March 21-23, 2013 RootsTech
Review of last meeting
- Wednesday, 24 Oct
- Birth task: 1898-present segment: Almost completed. Proofreading the entire section found 3-4 counties without the earlier years. Will finish this week. (Liz and Wilma).
- SEO (Search Engine Optimizer) has pushed Beaver County to the first or second page (from 14th) on a Google search for Beaver County Utah. Question: what if we take out some of the topic headings in the SEO and add them at the end (whited out) to make the SEO less "in your face?"
- From last week: Lois is changing headings and links in the counties from "Church Records" to "Churches and Religious Groups" Done up to Millard County.
- New item: Google maps have been linked from every county. Thanks to Jeffrey Stevens and Joy Bogar.
- Libraries: such minor progress, not worth mentioning in meeting.
- Church Records: No progress
- Strategies How to Find Birth Information in the United States; United States, How to Find Genealogy Records: James
- Patriarchal Blessings suggestion from last meeting - link to index from Utah page. Perhaps under church records, perhaps part of birth page. Has names of parents, etc. and some can only find those from this index. Hancock County, IL as well. Progress: None
From previous meetings (no progress):
- FHLC links. To do: once Libraries section is ready, show the FHLC links to the person who has not liked them. Wilma:
- Get documentation of Delayed Birth Registration - dates started, etc. (Says 1941 on state page, but no citation.) - Pat
- Do the county newspaper pages - Wilma
- Value and frequency of FHLC links - topic of a near future meeting.
- Utah Record Selection Table needs updating. (Just keeping on the list until done)
Most important (county) discussions remaining: (prioritized in last week's meeting)
- 1 Death, Marriage
- 1 Census
- 1 Cemeteries
- 1 Land
- 1 Probate
- Record selection table (added by Wilma)
In project leaders meeting, we thought these should be the minimum for each of the other topics:
- Blurb giving value and scope of the records
- FHLC link
- Link to the Utah page for that topic
- Links to Ancestry.com and FS Historical Records collections
We would also like to recruit a "boots on the ground" person or group to maintain, update, add to each county.
We are aiming at 19 December 2012 as completing what will be done as a project.
Ideas we won't forget
- Tip Bank